Getting a Gecko...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
For three years, my son has been asking for a pet lizard. He's oscillated between a bearded dragon or a gecko. As it's coming up to his 11th birthday, we thought he would be responsible enough to look after one with supervision. For the last six months, he's decided on a crested gecko.

My only previous encounters with reptiles has been limited to the zoo, but after some internet research and talking to a very knowledgeable chap in the local pet shop I feel I'm starting to know a little. I am happy that geckos make a great reptile for beginners. If we follow a few simple instructions and handle him everyday, the gecko should have a happy time living with us.

Are there any gecko or reptile owners on here? Is there anything I should know? Top tips? We've got a few weeks until we collect our new baby gecko, but I like to be prepared.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Enjoy, i look after a Bearded Dragon when the kids are away.
Be aware of hygiene, wash hands thoroughly after feeding and any contact.
, high ecoli risk.
Dragons dont do a lot until feeding time, then their pretty cool to watch.
So hopefully the Gecko will be similar

Reptiles are notorious Salmonella carriers. Not recommended for households with young children who won't yet have a developed immune system. The cleaning and washing of tanks and feeding equipment shouldn't be done in the kitchen.

OP
OP
LeetleGreyCells

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
They are brilliant escapologists. As are their food:

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/snakes.246138/post-5548951
The chap in the pet shop recommended locusts rather than crickets as if they do escape into the house, they only live a couple of days before dying. Also he said that if you put crickets in the tank for the gecko to eat and it doesn’t eat all of them, then the crickets can begin to feed on the gecko as crickets are carnivores.

OP
OP
LeetleGreyCells

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Salmonella and e-Coli? Doesn't sound like a great pet for a child unless he's fastidious about hand hygiene

Do lots of research
As I haven’t read that in any of my research so far, that will definitely be at the top of the list to check!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
We have quite a few house geckos who clean up the insects. They are tiny, about half a finger length.

gettyimages-806873462-170667a.jpg

Levo-Lon

Guru
As I haven’t read that in any of my research so far, that will definitely be at the top of the list to check!

My DinL is a vet, micro biologist.
They have the Dragon, and small kids.
Just be aware that all contact is a potential risk.
The salad they eat is probably the biggest risk as this is a e-coli breeding ground.
Again, bit of common sense and good house keeping will keep them perfectly safe.

OP
OP
LeetleGreyCells

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
My DinL is a vet, micro biologist.
They have the Dragon, and small kids.
Just be aware that all contact is a potential risk.
The salad they eat is probably the biggest risk as this is a e-coli breeding ground.
Again, bit of common sense and good house keeping will keep them perfectly safe.
Thanks. The chap in the shop told me he feeds his on a fruit paste (mixed from powder to consistency of ketchup), locusts/crickets and sometimes raspberries or similar (but no acidic fruits). I don't think crested geckos eat salad as he only mentioned fruit. I've definitely got to do more research.

I suppose there's a potential health risk from any pet, reptililian or mammalian.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Thanks. The chap in the shop told me he feeds his on a fruit paste (mixed from powder to consistency of ketchup), locusts/crickets and sometimes raspberries or similar (but no acidic fruits). I don't think crested geckos eat salad as he only mentioned fruit. I've definitely got to do more research.

I suppose there's a potential health risk from any pet, reptililian or mammalian.

Main worry will be your son putting it under your duvet on a Sunday morning!! :laugh:

Top Bottom