Getting aero on a budget

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

suzeworld

Veteran
hi
My missis and I are Starting to TT without making any major investment in new bikes (who’s she kidding? No seriously, we are in austerity measures!)
I am just racing against myself but missis has ability to take women’s record on our course.
I was wondering if economical efforts to streamline her kit might help. She knows someone who can give her a better helmet and I was seeking opinion on two other things:

Overshoes?
Clip on bars?

Any comments?

Ta.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
hi
My missis and I are Starting to TT without making any major investment in new bikes (who’s she kidding? No seriously, we are in austerity measures!)
I am just racing against myself but missis has ability to take women’s record on our course.
I was wondering if economical efforts to streamline her kit might help. She knows someone who can give her a better helmet and I was seeking opinion on two other things:

Overshoes?
Clip on bars?

Any comments?

Ta.
Toblerone wrappers in your socks :okay:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Clip-on bars definitely. I stuck some on my road bike for TTing last year and they do make a noticeable difference.

I got the Token clip-on bars for a bit under £40, which is as much as I wanted to spend.

Only problem is now I have a taste for TT, I'm hankering after a proper bike for it...

Sharky

Guru
I wouldn't rush to buy aero stuff to gain a few seconds. In your first season, you will make enormous gains, just by becoming familiar with the course and learning how to maximise your efforts. When you reach the point when your times seem to peak and against other riders the time differences are consistent would be the time to start looking at aero improvements.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Have a read here: https://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/technique-aerodynamics-on-a-budget-29471/

ttchart.jpg

Basically aero bars and a skin suit are the cheapest and easiest starting points. Then go from there ...

OP
OP
suzeworld

suzeworld

Veteran
Thanks guys.
I will read that article (and sew up her baggy maillot sleeves for a tighter fit!)

Tin Pot

Guru
Personally I would not adapt the roadie - I went down that road and wasted a lot of time and money.

For cheap gains, don’t change the bike, change the rider. Unless you live somewhere flat as a pancake, power to weight ratio is still king.

Do the season as you are, see how low you can go, then if you love it buy a cheap TT bike at the end of this season. 10TT is about speed over 20-30mins. You don’t need expensive components cos your not on the road long.

Or, reject my opinion - you can buy my clip ons off me :smile:

Top Bottom