Getting aero on a budget

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
If you cant afford TT bars atm riding on the tops is pretty aero if you can do it safely
zabriskie2.jpg

OP
OP
suzeworld

suzeworld

Veteran
I am not, personally, chasing any targets other than my own stamina. Losing two stone would certainly improve it all. :laugh:

My missis, though, is very fit and can sustain quite a low position on her bike. It would be good if she beat the female course record - she already got quite close and she only rode the course twice!

I will share your suggestions with her.

Many thanks to all who have suggested things.
And the laughs, too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
suzeworld

suzeworld

Veteran
Yes, we are both learning to ride on the hoods with arms more tucked in. I notice some of the experts in our club seem able to hold their heads in a very strange position into their shouders. Think that might take a while to perfect.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Yes, we are both learning to ride on the hoods with arms more tucked in. I notice some of the experts in our club seem able to hold their heads in a very strange position into their shouders. Think that might take a while to perfect.

I just find it easier on the drops. I have tried the aero/hoods/horizontal forearm position and I just can’t hold it for long. Practice I guess. I am learning to get along in my cheap clip ons at the moment.

Tin Pot

Guru
This is her last week. She can get her back down
Someone advised she should round her shoulders more by using the hoods rather than the drops.

That hip angle would kill me, and I can’t imagine she’s getting her best power output like that so it looks like she has some fairly easy wins to work on.

Is it okay to spend money on bike fit as it’s not a bike itself? :smile:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I think getting narrow is almost as important too. Elbows in etc.

I think that’s the main benefit of clip-on aero bars. Reduces your frontal area quite significantly.

Tin Pot

Guru
Here’s a quick searched image to illustrate - see the gap on the far leg between knee and chest?

2012-time-trial-position.jpg

Now that’s on a TT bike.

For the best you can get on a roadie, maybe something like this:
IMG_6617-630-354.jpg

A little more upright, but room to apply power and avoid injury.

OP
OP
suzeworld

suzeworld

Veteran
@ Tinpot, I'm not really understanding what you are saying. Do you mean her knees come too close to her chest? How would you alter the bike to affect that?

She doesn't have a power meter!

OP
OP
suzeworld

suzeworld

Veteran
That bike. :wub:

Aye - she had that second hand over 20 years ago. When she went to Rourke to get a new one built he commented that he's never seen a 2nd hand bike that fitted a customer so well.
Last year she got knocked off a different bike, and decided to use the compo money to have this re-fettled. It is gorgeous!

OP
OP
suzeworld

suzeworld

Veteran
Last edited:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
@ Tinpot, I'm not really understanding what you are saying. Do you mean her knees come too close to her chest? How would you alter the bike to affect that?

Yes, I think that is what TP is saying. It could be that her saddle is slightly too low but I don’t think it’s possible to make a meaningful and accurate assessment from your pic. Getting a proper bike fit could be a worthwhile investment though and might improve pedalling efficiency.

Top Bottom