Getting back from JOG to civilisation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Highland bike transport. Superb set up, collect you and your bike and convey you to Inverness, easy connection to Edinburgh....

But for the same price I could possibly hire a car one way and drive straight back to Stansted. Providing I could find a car.

I am sure it will be sorted and when it is I will let everyone know the answer.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Pedelo? get you back on Danish soil the direct route ;)

Ajax Bay

Guru
Afternoon ferry to the Orkneys (£16/17 from either JoG or Gils Bay); ferry to Aberdeen (£24, @ 2300) gets in 0700 (ie morning after finishing, NB every other day). Train down to Edinburgh. Alternatively, lots of bike shops in Aberdeen who'll let you have a cardboard bike box. Send them an Amazon package of 5m of pipe insulation, 5m of 60cm bubblewrap and some packing tape, and fly directly to Denmark from Aberdeen (Dyce).

mikey951r

Veteran
I did LEJOG this year and agonised over getting back for some time and did plenty of research. Europcar do one way hires from Wick Airport for around £80. I've never had any problems getting my bike (61cm frame) and the wifes bike in any car and we regularly put both in our Vauxhall Meriva with seats down and wheels out. The other alternative I seriously looked at was a one way hire car from Inverness after catching the train from Wick. In the end I booked the car from Inverness with Enterprise because they did unlimited mileage (520 miles back to Newark on Trent) for £60 and £55 in fuel. I booked a small car but can't remeber which make it was. I arrived in Wick a few days earlier than expected and booked tickets on the train from Wick for the next day. There were four trains a day and they had spaces on 3 of them, albeit they only have 2 spaces per train. This was in June.

If it were me alone I would use the same method again; however, for two people I would book a one way estate car from Europcar at Wick Airport. Simple, leave when you want, almost certainly cheaper than train, no trains to change, no worries over whether the bike is actually booked or whether you can get a seat and no idiots to sit by on the train. Gets my vote every time.

db7db7

Hi Steve, i did LEJOG in 2013 and had issues having to plan my way back in the last 2 days due to being let down with a planned lift back. I left my bike at the pub in JOG and paid for JOG bike couriers to bring it home (around £50) and got the train to Inverness and flight back (about £60).
Paying a bit over the odds is worth ever penny rather than the logistical arse ache of trains etc.
Good luck with your ride.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I left my bike at the pub in JOG and paid for JOG bike couriers to bring it home (around £50) and got the train to Inverness
@db7db7 - How did you get your body from JoG to the Inverness-bound train? Bus? Hitching?

db7db7

There are local buses to Wick and Thurso or a limited stop bus to Inverness from JOG .
Yep, bus from JOG to Thurso then train to Inverness. I was so happy by then i could have floated back to Thurso though!

jay clock

Massive member
Lots of useful info above. Thanks I am looking into doing this early in May but I am tight on time with only two weeks

Other option is fly to the Med and cycle back.

jay clock

Massive member
update, sadly I think it is going to be France. I would have to get to LE on the Sat of the Bank hol weekend on 30th April - never going to be easy by train or one way car rental, then bang out 1600k and manage the logistics of getting back from JOG to Winchester by close of play Sun 15th May. Montpellier to ST Malo is only 1000km, even Nice is only about 1400....

I may end up having a summer free of work in which case June or July might be on for LEJOG with a bit over 2 weeks and less pressure on time

jay clock

Massive member
Just to say I got a reply from the JOG taxi people http://www.johnogroatsbiketransport.co.uk/cyclist-transport.php , and they do sound EXCELLENT. There are also a possibility to leave the bike at a hotel in JOG for them to pack up and post home PLUS luggage to be sent at £1 a kg. So for about £100 I could send everything back home the fly from Wick or Inverness. However I have decided timing is too tight, as I would have only about 13-14 days plus tight logistics to LE and from JOG

Top Bottom