Getting back from JOG to civilisation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I thought JOG's was quite civilised?
Well how did you get south to other pockets of civilisation (or did you go north (to Kirkwall))?

toffee

Guru
Has anyone hired a car from Wick. How much was it and how did you book?

Just got a web quote from Enterprise picking up at Wick airport one way to Milton Keynes £300 :ohmy:

Derek

Nero

Hi Jay. It's a few months since you posted so it might be too late now, but I can wholeheartedly recommend the John o'Groats Bike Transport company. I did the ride this summer and used them and they were great; they arranged for my bike to be couriered home (to Leeds) and it made it so much easier. Like you I didn't know when I'd finish so couldn't plan ahead, and struggled to get a bike reservation down to Lands End (for the start) even booking it 3 weeks in advance so didn't dare risk it with just a couple of days notice.

As someone else has already mentioned the boat route from John o'Groats to the Orkneys, and then from there to Aberdeen, could be worth investigating too. Since finishing the ride I've put a website together including a discussion of all the route options; this is at https://www.cyclelejog.com/transport.html. Hopefully that might be of some use. Good luck and let us know how you get on!

Ajax Bay

Guru
the boat route from John o'Groats to the Orkneys
Well laid out site @Nero
The JoG > Burwick ferry only runs in the summer. But quite close by is Gills Bay and the larger ferry to St Margaret Hope (which also goes all year round and later at 1930 (the little one goes at 1800 Jun-Aug and at 1630 in May and Sep)). The cycle to Kirkwall is 10km shorter. NB lights required for cycle out to Hatston Quay from Kirkwall, even in mid summer. Ferry to Aberdeen is every two days plus Sunday - timetable.
@robgul - note @Nero 's site - he's put a lot of effort into it.

Last edited:

Nero

Well laid out site @Nero
The JoG > Burwick ferry only runs in the summer. But quite close by is Gills Bay and the larger ferry to St Margaret Hope (which also goes all year round and later at 1930 (the little one goes at 1800 Jun-Aug and at 1630 in May and Sep)). The cycle to Kirkwall is 10km shorter. NB lights required for cycle out to Hatston Quay from Kirkwall, even in mid summer. Ferry to Aberdeen is every two days plus Sunday - timetable.
@robgul - note @Nero 's site - he's put a lot of effort into it.
Thanks @Ajax Bay, glad you like the site! I'll take a look at those boats and see about updating the page, thanks for the tips.

Brains

Legendary Member
Hi Jay. It's a few months since you posted so it might be too late now, but I can wholeheartedly recommend the John o'Groats Bike Transport company. I did the ride this summer and used them and they were great; they arranged for my bike to be couriered home (to Leeds) and it made it so much easier. Like you I didn't know when I'd finish so couldn't plan ahead, and struggled to get a bike reservation down to Lands End (for the start) even booking it 3 weeks in advance so didn't dare risk it with just a couple of days notice.

As someone else has already mentioned the boat route from John o'Groats to the Orkneys, and then from there to Aberdeen, could be worth investigating too. Since finishing the ride I've put a website together including a discussion of all the route options; this is at https://www.cyclelejog.com/transport.html. Hopefully that might be of some use. Good luck and let us know how you get on!

To add some info
To get from London to Penzance you can go from Waterloo main line, however this route involves (multiple) changes and is also slower, but it can be the cheapest option.
It is possible to get a bike onto the station concourse of Waterloo Main line without going up the stairs
You can also get onto most of the platforms without using stairs, there are lifts for those with stairs
It is possible to get from Waterloo East to Waterloo Main line without using the stairs, as there is a lift.

The best option from London to Cornwall is via Paddington, the service is run by GWR, who are missing from your list.
At Paddington you can ride directly onto the station concourse (no stairs), ramp is the the right of the station entrance
You can also wheel the bike onto all platforms as it is a terminus station
Bikes MUST be booked on board GWR trains from Paddington, as this is the route most LeJog cyclists take
GWR limit booking to to 6 (maybe 8?) bikes per train
I would also strongly recommend booking a seat, otherwise your will be standing in the aisles until Exeter
Trains run about every 2 hours
Some are direct which are faster
Some mean you change at Plymouth to a local train to Penzance (no seat/bike reservations possible or normally needed)
If you do change at Plymouth the onward train is only on the other side of the platform, so no lugging of bikes required up and down stairs

One option that is very good for this route is to take the overnight sleeper, it leaves Paddington at 23.05 and arrives in Penzance at about 7am, cost is about £50 on top of the ticket price, but you would be paying that for a B&B anyway, and it can save you a day, so you could actually have left Lands End before most people have had breakfast.

Ajax Bay

Guru
London to Cornwall is via Paddington, the service is run by GWR, who are missing from your list.
@Nero 's site lists GWR in the first 4 - see link
GWR limit booking to to 6 (maybe 8?) bikes per train
Six - that's the number of slots in the special for purpose bike cubby hole just behind the engine (going west). You get two copies of the cycle reservation ticket: one for the bike and one for your wallet.
strongly recommend booking a seat
Think you HAVE to book a seat to book a bike on. The GWR site says: "Please note it is only possible to reserve bicycle space if you reserve seats." In any case take the 'Quiet Coach' option which on trains going either way is the one nearest the bike door: front (west)/rear(east) coach. You can keep an eye on who's accessing the bike door just in front of/behind that coach. And it's quick to get back to your door after loading the bike on and the station staff are keen to get the train on its way.

Top Bottom