Getting back on - after accident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Had a minor skirmish earlier in the week. A car clipped my back wheel - no damage to me or bike. But have gone through a range emotions - from taking up golf - buying a turbo - buying a bike camera....

I was only 10 minutes from home - but I was very nervous those last 10 minutes and haven't been on the bike since. Can't make the club run this week - so thinking about going out on my own saturday morning.

I've always been a pretty nervous cyclist - so don't know how I will feel tomorrow -

Any pointers/advice welcome

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I went over the bonnet of a car back in April. Like you , it was close to home. I had an injury as a result that gave me too much time to think about what had happened and what could have happened.

I made a point on my first ride to use that road. On the approach I tried to estimate how many times I have ridden along there and compare that with the one incident. That along with familiarity of the road helped.

I don't give it a second thought now.

vickster

Legendary Member
I think you just have to do it really. I've had a few offs, and other than the 'big one' and one that puncture both tyres, I've tried to get back on asap. My last one, I had to cycle home 8 miles with some quite nasty bruising!

Can someone maybe go out with you on Saturday?

Failing that, get a new bike...always helps ;)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You've done $LOTS of miles before this incident. It's rare. It's like if you got struck by lightning or whatever - would you never go outdoors in the rain again? Nah, you'd keep on going out. This is similar. You've already ridden 10 miles home - just go out and ride the next 10, then the next 10 and so on and see how many more you can rack up before the next problem. Maybe pick a quietish route as the first one but don't go cower in the gutter none - good cycling is still good cycling and you know what that is. Cycle to somewhere nearby that you enjoy. :smile:

Jody

Stubborn git
Take up mountain biking, falling off and crashing will become routine events.

I quit it for those very reasons

Falls from a MTB should be a rare occurance if riding within your abilities and to what you can see.

Best advice for falls is get back on it ASAP before the doubts start. Is it nervousness, ability and bike control or a combination that has you worried?

Sharky

Guru
I understand how you are feeling.

10yrs ago, was knocked off and was unconscious and broke several bones. But could not remember anything of the incident. Had no worries about getting back on the bike.

But this January, came off on black ice and broke more bones, but because I can remember going down, am now petrified of going round corners

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I understand how you are feeling.

10yrs ago, was knocked off and was unconscious and broke several bones. But could not remember anything of the incident. Had no worries about getting back on the bike.

But this January, came off on black ice and broke more bones, but because I can remember going down, am now petrified of going round corners
Get yourself a trike, harder to fall off, mind you corners are even more terrifying. :cycle:

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Falls from a MTB should be a rare occurance if riding within your abilities and to what you can see.

Best advice for falls is get back on it ASAP before the doubts start. Is it nervousness, ability and bike control or a combination that has you worried?

Nervousness - but not of my own ability. But that not matter what I do , how careful I am - some numpty could stick me in a wheelchair for the rest of my life.

vickster

Legendary Member
Nervousness - but not of my own ability. But that not matter what I do , how careful I am - some numpty could stick me in a wheelchair for the rest of my life.
That could also happen if you’re walking down the street or when you’re driving. Find quiet areas to cycle, just don’t fall into the canal ;)

I actually did myself more lasting damage coming off on a cycle path. At least with the knocking off, I’ll end up with a bucket of cash at some point ;)

I had a car go head on to me as he overtook on a notorious speeder's road. He was going at least 70mph and went under my arm as I waved it to get his attention. He obviously thought the 30cm clearance was enough.
I didn't ride for a while and thought about giving it up entirely. I don't want to die.

One day I just got on the bike and went out. A couple of rides later I went down that road. I don't live near there any more but have to take that road when driving to my mother's. I see that moment nearly every time I go down there.
In the end it was contempt that got me going again. Why should that piece of shoot stop my flying?

As for mountain biking, it's all I do. I have a narrow comfort zone - riding down flights of stairs is my limit. Most of the off roady stuff is Trans Pennine Trail etc, but I use roads to get there and don't mind being a little more... obstructive/assertive. They're not stopping me.

Top Bottom