Getting Dis-heartened

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gaz Vickers

After years of being a (self confessed) lazy sod, I got a treadmill because the Beer Gut was taking shape at an increasing faster rate of Knots! So the realisation that i was getting older crept in. (only 32 mind) Anyway after approx, 6 months using said Treadmill i started to hate it, although it was working, i lost a few visible pounds.
However after i was making excuses not to use it.... bathing kids, washing up etc....
One weekend me and the Wife went away for the night..So we used the Hotel Pool, and even the Gym, (the wife had packed the gym stuff) I instantly sneered at the Treadmills and hopped straight on an Exercise Bike. I had never been on one before. WOW i thought, this great.... I couldn't believe how much i had enjoyed it, 35 minutes later i got off it, still smiling. I need one of those i said to the wife!
She on the other hand just laughed.... But we decided when we get some spare money we will get one.
Looking around i soon realised to get a good one you need to spend a lot of money! (too much for my budget) Then someone said buy a Bike for outdoors, I'm not a very confident person, i hate the thought of people watching me, especially when i am either running or Cycling outside. hence why i want the home Gym stuff! But anyway i have decided to go the Outdoor Bike route and also get a Turbo Trainer thingy for indoor use..... I decided this last week, but even just getting a cheap shitty bike is proving difficult for me, its annoying, the fact i need to start at the bottom, Get a cheap Bike, If i enjoy it, then upgrade... i know all this. I thought it would be straight forward - Having 2 young children, a wife who works for an airline so has funny working hours! and not much spare cash to throw about makes even looking for the right Bike very difficult, let alone having to collect it! Also i believe i need to be measured for a frame size!
I let slip to a friend that i had a pair of Lycra shorts, so i have had a week of ridicule etc.... this doesn't bother me, i just want to wear whatever i like and get out and ride. Fingers crossed in a few weeks i will be able to get going so to speak, its just the longer its taking me to get there the more dis-heartened i am becoming! It would be easier if some friends were interested in cycing, but no-one i know is......
I'm just new to all this forum stuff, and not being able to partake is bugging me!
Well i'v rambled on enough, sorry! lol..... just wanted to get a few things off my chest, seemed like a good place to do it, i imagine many of you have been in similar positions.
Fingers crossed i'm out there on a Bike in a few Weeks.....
Gary.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Top tips:

Wear a pair of baggy shorts (cut the netting out with scissors), over the top of your lycra cycling shorts, to preserve modesty.

Go out for rides first thing in the morning. You will feel less self conscious, with fewer motorists and other people around! Also a bit less traffic and dawn is the best time of day for cycling (at least in the summer, it is). This might be a good temporary measure until you gain confidence and develop the 'feck it - I just want to get out there' mentality.

Post a thread in the Wanted section of the forum here and see if anybody has a bike available that may suit your needs and be in budget? You never know - you might pickup a bargain and it may be local(ish)?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You are in Heywood, get yourself down to Decathlon in Stockport. The basic MTB's start at £99 and are worth the money. Other options are Carrera Subways but they start at £200 but are from Halfords.

Don't worry about micky taking - you'll be laughing in a year or so at them. I've worked in a few places where the staff would take the 'hiss' out of my lycra lout kit - I worked in construction. They soon shut up when I started commuting the 60 mile rount trip a couple of times a week. Left there though to get a job where the commute was more reasonable. I can do anything from 6 to 20 miles each way.

How far is your work commute. I say that as it's a great way to get the cycling in without impacting family time - this is the main cycling I've done in the last 5 years - don't get lots of time to get out at weekends. 10 miles each way, every day, is enough to let you do a sportive in about 5-6 hours, and you'd soon find that the 'regular' commuters (you've still got to train hard) are much fitter than the 'sunday warriors'. :laugh:

snorri

Legendary Member
Be wary of shops that have just a few bikes in stock yet amazingly they claim to have the ideal bike for you.
Buying a bike will not result in instant weight loss, you will probably also have to consider adjustments to your diet.
Good luck!

Night Train

Maker of Things
The other option is to ask on Freecycle for a suitable bike, three I have used over the last 5 years have been from Freecycle, two of which have moved on to others now by the same route.
Cheap is good but cheaply made is very very bad. Do ask here before committing so that you know the difference.

You could do a search for cycling clubs in your area, or even meet up with forum members that are local to you, for like minded people to cycle with. Does/Would your wife ride a bike? Maybe taking bikes to somewhere you can explore on cycle routes on your weekends could help with the confidence and enjoyment.

The trainer is an option but the money you would spend on it could go towards the bike. However, if you get one don't use it with knobbly MTB tyres, the noise will drive you to despair. I found that out the hard way.:blush:

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
Get down Decathlon and pick up the cheap £99 MTB (Rockrider 5.0 I think it's called), a pair of the MTB shorts (baggy but lined with padded inner) and a water bottle. Set alarm for 5.30. Get up and cycle.

Reactions: 4F
OP
OP
Gaz Vickers

Gaz Vickers

Top tips:

Wear a pair of baggy shorts (cut the netting out with scissors), over the top of your lycra cycling shorts, to preserve modesty.

Go out for rides first thing in the morning. You will feel less self conscious, with fewer motorists and other people around! Also a bit less traffic and dawn is the best time of day for cycling (at least in the summer, it is). This might be a good temporary measure until you gain confidence and develop the 'feck it - I just want to get out there' mentality.

Post a thread in the Wanted section of the forum here and see if anybody has a bike available that may suit your needs and be in budget? You never know - you might pickup a bargain and it may be local(ish)?
Good advice, thanks mate. When i get my budget i will proably do that. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Gaz Vickers

Gaz Vickers

You are in Heywood, get yourself down to Decathlon in Stockport. The basic MTB's start at £99 and are worth the money. Other options are Carrera Subways but they start at £200 but are from Halfords.

Don't worry about micky taking - you'll be laughing in a year or so at them. I've worked in a few places where the staff would take the 'hiss' out of my lycra lout kit - I worked in construction. They soon shut up when I started commuting the 60 mile rount trip a couple of times a week. Left there though to get a job where the commute was more reasonable. I can do anything from 6 to 20 miles each way.

How far is your work commute. I say that as it's a great way to get the cycling in without impacting family time - this is the main cycling I've done in the last 5 years - don't get lots of time to get out at weekends. 10 miles each way, every day, is enough to let you do a sportive in about 5-6 hours, and you'd soon find that the 'regular' commuters (you've still got to train hard) are much fitter than the 'sunday warriors'. :laugh:
Commuting is of no good. I need the car for work, dropping kids off before and after work in farnworth, i will check out them cheaper bikes, i'd dismissed them as i thought they were too cheap! i am already getting the feck it attitude what other people think, lol Cheers for the words of wisdom mate.
Be wary of shops that have just a few bikes in stock yet amazingly they claim to have the ideal bike for you.
Buying a bike will not result in instant weight loss, you will probably also have to consider adjustments to your diet.
Good luck!
Thank you, i will steer clear. :thumbsup:
The other option is to ask on Freecycle for a suitable bike, three I have used over the last 5 years have been from Freecycle, two of which have moved on to others now by the same route.
Cheap is good but cheaply made is very very bad. Do ask here before committing so that you know the difference.

You could do a search for cycling clubs in your area, or even meet up with forum members that are local to you, for like minded people to cycle with. Does/Would your wife ride a bike? Maybe taking bikes to somewhere you can explore on cycle routes on your weekends could help with the confidence and enjoyment.

The trainer is an option but the money you would spend on it could go towards the bike. However, if you get one don't use it with knobbly MTB tyres, the noise will drive you to despair. I found that out the hard way.:blush:
Completely forgot about freecycle, i will have a look. Not sure there is anyone close enough to where i live to meet with. Cheers for your help though. :thumbsup:
Get down Decathlon and pick up the cheap £99 MTB (Rockrider 5.0 I think it's called), a pair of the MTB shorts (baggy but lined with padded inner) and a water bottle. Set alarm for 5.30. Get up and cycle.
That may be my only way. :bicycle:
Hi
Whatever you do don't give up, are your kids old enough to ride with you?
i won't, No my kids are 11 months old and 4 yrs old. Thanks.

An MTB looks right for you, stick some slicks on and its a decent bike for the road, also MTB clothing is quite baggy and hides most of the ripples so no matter how far the beergut has come on, 90% is hidden, over the last year I have grown a bit of a gut but it doesnt bother me I know within a couple of months it will be gone, if you decide to get an outdoor bike get in touch as I am pretty sure I have a large Fox top free of charge that will hide the ripples and give you some confidence.

OP
OP
Gaz Vickers

Gaz Vickers

An MTB looks right for you, stick some slicks on and its a decent bike for the road, also MTB clothing is quite baggy and hides most of the ripples so no matter how far the beergut has come on, 90% is hidden, over the last year I have grown a bit of a gut but it doesnt bother me I know within a couple of months it will be gone, if you decide to get an outdoor bike get in touch as I am pretty sure I have a large Fox top free of charge that will hide the ripples and give you some confidence.
Yeah probably my best way of doing things! i'm not over weight in the slightest! only about 11 stone, but this beer gut won't shift! hahaha!! maybe should stop drinking?!! lol, or cut down at least! Cheers mate, but i'm a size small! lol:popcorn:
Excellent Gaz.
I am fifty, nearly twenty stone but I don't give a feck what folks think.
I am enjoying the return to bikes on a budget .
Great to hear it buddy! :thumbsup:

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
That may be my only way. :bicycle:

Then do it. :thumbsup: As harsh as it sounds, the person that will hold you back from doing it the most is you. You need to create the time to do it, and that might mean trading off something else you like (my guitar collection has been collecting dust since I got back into cycling and now running - as has my expansive camera collection).

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
One thing, and some will roll their eyes, even if it's a cheap bike, if you look after it it will serve you well and won't become this horrible thing to ride. So clean it (especially after a wet ride) and make sure you oil hat chain on a regular basis, and wipe off excess oil. Run a rag through and round the gears to remove any crap or built up oil. Keep the cables clean.

Most importantly, try and fit it into your daily schedule - this takes the 'pain' of organising out of it.

Top Bottom