Getting Dis-heartened

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Gaz Vickers

Gaz Vickers

Then do it. :thumbsup: As harsh as it sounds, the person that will hold you back from doing it the most is you. You need to create the time to do it, and that might mean trading off something else you like (my guitar collection has been collecting dust since I got back into cycling and now running - as has my expansive camera collection).
I know, i need to get the mind set and will power to just do it. Ta matey.
None of my gear fits me as I was 12 st when I last had my road bike ! LOL.

Ps how do you insert smilies on here?
hahaha, Never mind eh! Just above the box you type in there is a smiley face, click on that. :thumbsup:
One thing, and some will roll their eyes, even if it's a cheap bike, if you look after it it will serve you well and won't become this horrible thing to ride. So clean it (especially after a wet ride) and make sure you oil hat chain on a regular basis, and wipe off excess oil. Run a rag through and round the gears to remove any crap or built up oil. Keep the cables clean.

Most importantly, try and fit it into your daily schedule - this takes the 'pain' of organising out of it.
Yes, maintenance is a good prevention. Cheers buddy!

No smiley face above the posting box.

Viewing with IPad , don't know if that makes a difference.

Man your only 32,what are you worried about?believe it or not when you are out on your bike most people do not take any notice of you.
I'm a lot older than you and cycle for leisure and fitness and I don't give a toss what other people think.

Enjoy.

OP
OP
Gaz Vickers

Gaz Vickers

Man your only 32,what are you worried about?believe it or not when you are out on your bike most people do not take any notice of you.
I'm a lot older than you and cycle for leisure and fitness and I don't give a toss what other people think.

Enjoy.
I'm slowly gaining that mindset! i've always had problems with low confidence! But as i am getting older i don't tend to care as much! and thanks, i will do :thumbsup:
Ah Ha, back on the main pc and:bicycle::hungry:
is it possible to activate it via an Ipad?
:laugh: not sure about the ipad, i only use a PC :addict:

Have you tried the tapatalk app on your ipad? It's chuffin' great for this forum!
I havent, but will now its been recommended.:rolleyes:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Keep it up Gary! I was about the same age as you when I got back into cycling. I felt self-conscious at first when going out on my bike but soon got used to it. There appear to be lots more people out on bikes now than then, so you will be lost in the crowd!
Ah Ha, back on the main pc and:bicycle::hungry:
is it possible to activate it via an Ipad?
If not, then go to the Help menu, and visit the smilies page. There is a list of text shortcuts that you can use to insert smilies. I use them when posting from my Galaxy Tab. E.g.
Code:
:thumbsup:
gives you :thumbsup: and
Code:
:smile:
gives you :smile:.

OP
OP
Gaz Vickers

Gaz Vickers

Keep it up Gary! I was about the same age as you when I got back into cycling. I felt self-conscious at first when going out on my bike but soon got used to it. There appear to be lots more people out on bikes now than then, so you will be lost in the crowd!

If not, then go to the Help menu, and visit the smilies page. There is a list of text shortcuts that you can use to insert smilies. I use them when posting from my Galaxy Tab. E.g.
Code:
:thumbsup:
gives you :thumbsup: and
Code:
:smile:
gives you :smile:.
Cheers Colin, with every comment i'm getting more confident! Thanks.
The kids round here regularly laugh at me, and I often get abuse from passing yobs in cars......but cycling is great for two reasons: (i) I tend not to hear the kids/yobs because I'm in my own little word just enjoying the ride (ii) I feel quite self-righteous as I know I'm taking exercise and they are not.....my blood pressure is coming down and I'm getting fit......I bet most of them will be basket cases when they are my age.

I bet after a couple of weeks of riding you'll start to feel much better about things......good luck any how
Thanks buddy! i'm getting there!

Risex4

Dropped by the autobus
believe it or not when you are out on your bike most people do not take any notice of you.

Aint that the truth; cars at pinch points, dog walkers, random pedestrians... Before long you'll be back here saying that not enough people notice you when you're out and about.

Gaz, I see from your sig that you've quit smoking. This should be a doddle! If you are that determined to get out now, and its great if you are, do you not know anyone (friends or family) who has a mothballed bike you can borrow?

OP
OP
Gaz Vickers

Gaz Vickers

Aint that the truth; cars at pinch points, dog walkers, random pedestrians... Before long you'll be back here saying that not enough people notice you when you're out and about.

Gaz, I see from your sig that you've quit smoking. This should be a doddle! If you are that determined to get out now, and its great if you are, do you not know anyone (friends or family) who has a mothballed bike you can borrow?
I see your point, and hopefully i can return to say that!
As for the Cigs, yes done 11 months now :wahhey: . and it was the hardest thing i'v ever done.
No tried all my available avenues..... no one has an interest in cycling. :sad:

Risex4

Dropped by the autobus
Ahh, we're on opposite ends of a similar goal then. I've gotten back into cycling pretty comfortably now from the start of the year, amoung other things I hoped I could replace one habit with another, but I just can't quite kick the evil weed; all I've got into the habit of doing now is sparking up once I've come down after a ride... :rolleyes:

I think of the two of us, you're further ahead!

OP
OP
Gaz Vickers

Gaz Vickers

Ahh, we're on opposite ends of a similar goal then. I've gotten back into cycling pretty comfortably now from the start of the year, amoung other things I hoped I could replace one habit with another, but I just can't quite kick the evil weed; all I've got into the habit of doing now is sparking up once I've come down after a ride... :rolleyes:

I think of the two of us, you're further ahead!
It was hard for me to stop because i didn't want to, i enjoyed it too much, But when we had our 2nd baby, the cost of cigs rocketed so the wife asked me to try and stop! i was smoking 20 a day, had done for 15 years. So i went to the doctors to get tablets! 16 days of taking tablets i'd stopped completely! although i miss it like mad! not the expense though! :laugh: i think the tablets were called Champix. Give them a try.

Top Bottom