Getting old

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
We had a 'party line' telephone... which wasn't a way of paying lots of money to chat to pi$ed strangers at 3am on a Saturday morning, but a telephone line shared with the people who lived up the road. You had to press a button to make sure they weren't already on the phone, or to stop them accidentally listening in.
smile.gif
I'd forgotten them (I must be getting old...)! What a crap concept...

And the black and white TV used to break down every Christmas Eve (or so it seemed) and the brown-overalled chap would come and mend it and be our hero for an hour or so. 
smile.gif
If the DIY technique of hitting the back of the set failed, of course! In those days, all TVs used valves and valves sometimes came loose in their sockets or developed internal faults, both of which could sometimes be rectified by a short, sharp, shock to the set. A kill or cure technique that was. Either the fault was cleared, or the picture went off altogether!

Attachments

• smile.gif
    smile.gif
    262 bytes · Views: 15

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
If the DIY technique of hitting the back of the set failed, of course! In those days, all TVs used valves and valves sometimes came loose in their sockets or developed internal faults, both of which could sometimes be rectified by a short, sharp, shock to the set. A kill or cure technique that was. Either the fault was cleared, or the picture went off altogether!

I had a TV like that when I moved in with Mr Summerdays ... you gave it a whack and it generally went OK .... and ever now and again Mr Summerdays would take the back off ... wiggle lots of bits and put it back on and then we would have a good patch for a while.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
I find that the older I get the more I shout at the telly adverts......

Gordon

I've always done that. I object strongly to being treated like a moron in my own lounge. It's one of the many reasons I never watch telly.

I'm always prone to this but I did really lose my rag at the Halifax ad with the ice ice sampled Queen riff. After I went through the roof for the umpteenth time shouting abuse at the scriptwriters and the actors for inflicting this ghastly monstrosity on me, Mrs R learnt to leap for the remote about a nanosecond into the first scene.

John

We had a 'party line' telephone... which wasn't a way of paying lots of money to chat to pi$$ed strangers at 3am on a Saturday morning, but a telephone line shared with the people who lived up the road. You had to press a button to make sure they weren't already on the phone, or to stop them accidentally listening in.
smile.gif

And the black and white TV used to break down every Christmas Eve (or so it seemed) and the brown-overalled chap would come and mend it and be our hero for an hour or so.
smile.gif

+1 x 2!

Our first phone was a party line and I never quite got over the idea that every word I said could be being listened to by a neighbour, even if it wasn't!

As for the repair man - ours was a chap from Rediffusion. He never failed to fix it. Generally involved some swapping of a valve or two, or even a bit of soldering. As I was 'into' fiddling with old transistor radios at the time, he seemed like a magician to me. I would sit 'reading' a comic while secretly watching him put in the fix! :whistle:

Attachments

• smile.gif
    smile.gif
    262 bytes · Views: 13

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
When i Skyplus a film i still say i've taped it ........OK when the kids Skyplus this new fangled technology i still say it's been taped.....there i'm old OK ????

Top Bottom