Getting on track, how to use the bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Seems odd I know, but I live in a hilly place, with busy roads with not even a pavement never mind cycle track, so to use my bike safely, looking at an 8 mile run in either car or train, before I can even start peddling.

it seems the train is going to return to pre-colvid times, but it has been only one train a day doing the whole trip to local town where I can get onto the tow path, so in the main it means using the car for first 8 miles, and it is the carrying of the bike on train or car which is the major stumbling block.

I now have a folding electric bike 24 kg, not easy to lift onto train or car, the normal bike is really too long to carry on train unless the disable adapted carriage is in use, there is not enough room to get them around the corner into the carriage so need to be left on the veranda and unless it folds, this stops others getting on/off the train.

I have a cycle rack for one car, it has a plate which fixes between the tow ball and tow bar, but this will only fit one car, I have one which fits on the tow ball, but it can swivel on the ball, it had a cut out which with a 3.5 inch centre ball should stop it swivelling, but there is nothing for it to locate on with a detachable ball. So as it stands, only have one car which can carry all bikes, I can just about get the folding bike between front and back seats in the Honda Jazz, but not easy, even the much larger Kia Sorento have to fold down one seat to get it inside, although the good cycle rack fits that car.

But again be it inside the car or on back, 24 kg not light. and trip with wife, the two e-bikes exceed the 40 kg limit for cycle rack so one has to go inside. Although the bike folds, it has proper sized wheels, so not that small, but the main problem is once folded hard to carry, there is not even anything to keep the bike folded, I am sure I could carry a mobility scooter easier.

My_bike.jpg
having bought the bike I don't want a different one, even if not A1 for my needs, I got is second hand, and some of the features are not permitted with new bikes, like twist grip throttle, a good safety feature when crossing busy roads, as otherwise needs a full turn of crank before motor kicks in. But hope I am not the only one trying to work out how to get the bike to a suitable road to use it on. So thought good idea to start thread on how to get bike to some where safe to cycle.

I love tow path as can turn motor off, and cycle at my own pace, but want motor for road use as otherwise I am too slow and in danger as a result.

Alex321

Veteran
Since the features like the throttle are not allowed for any e-bike on public roads, not just new manufactured ones, you cannot legally use it on the road unless it is registered, taxed and insured.

And since it then does not class a a pedal bicycle, it is also illegal to use it on cycle paths or canal towpaths, or anywhere les that motor vehicles are not permitted.

https://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rules

vickster

Legendary Member
I love tow path as can turn motor off, and cycle at my own pace, but want motor for road use as otherwise I am too slow and in danger as a result.

Then you really should be using a moped / motorbike with the correct driving license, insurance, tax, MOT, helmet etc

And a legal restricted e-bike (or non powered bike) for the towpaths :smile:

OP
OP
ericmark

ericmark

I can disable the throttle with a software change, but when I looked it is down to date manufactured, when e-bike first came out throttles were allowed, I think if made before 2016 the throttle is allowed, however easy enough to disable, just makes crossing busy roads dangerous, and I think as long as throttle cuts out at 6 km they are still allowed?

However really nothing to do with question.

OP
OP
ericmark

ericmark

The short run from where I work to my house is steep, but most of it with the motor I can cycle, however at around 6 mph the torque starts to drop off, so I must maintain around 6 mph to get assistance from the motor, and can't maintain that up even these hills, never mind mountains, I worked as a lad for a farmer who had land on side of Cadair Idris which is well down the range of mountains and at 72 there is no way I can even walk up it never mind ride a bike.

Alex321

Veteran
I can disable the throttle with a software change, but when I looked it is down to date manufactured, when e-bike first came out throttles were allowed, I think if made before 2016 the throttle is allowed, however easy enough to disable, just makes crossing busy roads dangerous, and I think as long as throttle cuts out at 6 km they are still allowed?

However really nothing to do with question.

No, it is NOT down to date manufactured.

If the motor can be activated without pedalling, then it is not a legal EAPC. It really is that simple. There are oter restrictions as well, which I don't know if your bike meets.

It is not only rather unsuitable for what you need, but is also illegal to use where you want to.

Reactions: C R

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
No, it is NOT down to date manufactured.

If the motor can be activated without pedalling, then it is not a legal EAPC. It really is that simple. There are oter restrictions as well, which I don't know if your bike meets.

It is not only rather unsuitable for what you need, but is also illegal to use where you want to.

Am I misinterpreting this?
It does seem that e-bikes with throttle sold before January 1st 2016 are considered EAPC Certified thus can be ridden on UK roads.

FF78F4E8-937B-4029-BA7A-271955FF22FD.jpeg

Alex321

Veteran
Am I misinterpreting this?
It does seem that e-bikes with throttle sold before January 1st 2016 are considered EAPC Certified thus can be ridden on UK roads.

View attachment 685180

I'm finding a few sites that seem to agree with that.

I'm rather surprised that isn't mentioned on the Government website though if it is true.

But having said that, the particular bike the OP has, is one which has never been road legal in the UK, as the smallest motor was 350W, and the limit is 250W now - 200W prior to 2016. Most of them came with a 1000W motor.

OP
OP
ericmark

ericmark

The motor can't produce 250 watt on a continuous basis, although it does have a peak output of 350 watts, however the motor size and throttle type have nothing to do with the question, just a red herring.

I am looking for ideas how to transport the bike from home to a place it can be safely used, look at a mobility scooter and there are many designed to be wheeled on/off buses, trains etc. in their compact form. As soon as my bike is folded it can't be wheeled and is rather heavy to carry, not point reinventing the wheel, so asking how others carry their bike to place of use.

Top Bottom