Giant Advanced 1 (standard 105 2x11) vs Advanced 2 (modified to 1x11) vs Advanced 2 (standard Tiagra 2x10)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Yeah I’m really looking forward to it.

I decided to stick with the standard 105 set up and hope the (around 5kg) lighter bike will make hills easier without messing with swapping cranks or cassettes etc.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

I need some recommendations for decent but cheap flat pedals now?
Are Rock Bros any good or should I stick to DMR etc?

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

I didn't have the bottle to ask them when I got my current Diverge ... they had already knocked £750 off :laugh:

Crikey, now that is a good deal!

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Hi, yeah sorry I should’ve reported back 😔
I collected it a couple of weeks ago, but having just got over COVID I’ve not been up to riding it yet, and the weathers been grim to boot.
It is a lovely thing though, and the colour is gorgeous 😍
I’ll try to post pics soon and hope to have the maiden voyage once I shake off the residual cough from Co-bloody-vid.
Meanwhile I’m keeping myself pacified by buying a few extras for her, Garmin, lights etc….
Watch this space 👍

Hi, yeah sorry I should’ve reported back 😔
I collected it a couple of weeks ago, but having just got over COVID I’ve not been up to riding it yet, and the weathers been grim to boot.
It is a lovely thing though, and the colour is gorgeous 😍
I’ll try to post pics soon and hope to have the maiden voyage once I shake off the residual cough from Co-bloody-vid.
Meanwhile I’m keeping myself pacified by buying a few extras for her, Garmin, lights etc….
Watch this space 👍

Hey, hope you are feeling better and have christened the new bike?
You pleased with it?

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Hi, sadly I’ve been suffering a bit from what I can only assume is a bit of ‘long Covid’.
Always tired, aching, lethargic and tight chest etc.
To be frank I’ve just not felt like going out in the cold wet weather we’ve been having. Perhaps I just need to stop procrastinating and get on with it.
Also due to having literally no space in my garage, I can’t really take it out as my wife is preparing for Christmas and won’t let it back in the dining room (where it currently stands) once it’s had it’s tyres christened out in the open. This makes it so I can’t ride it until there’s space in the garage to put it in once it’s had the tyres dirtied.
I have a Garmin Edge Explore now, an up front mount and am looking at day time running lights. So far I’m leaning to the Knog ‘Blinder’ range, possibly the squares.
No mudguards yet though as I can’t find any that are effective but don’t look shite.
I plan to sort out the garage hopefully this weekend though so fingers crossed I’ll be riding again soon.
I need to restart exercising again though, even if it’s gentle jogging at first, to try and kick start my system from this horrible Covid thing.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Well it's been a while so perhaps no one gives a monkey's anymore, can't blame them.
Just case anyone does, I have ridden the bike and it is a quick thing compared to my old CB MTB, however, the MTB was more forgiving on pot holed country lanes.
I don't think my front disc is set up correctly as it sometimes seems to catch, but only slightly, although I don't trust myself to try and adjust the hydraulic bits to sort it. The LBS did set it all up on collection, but I had to take the front wheel off to get it in my car to go home (too far to ride for me) and I may have messed something up in putting it back on again at home? It's due it's first service soon anyway.

On riding it, I thought there was some catching on my front mech, on every rotation of the peddles, but only when peddling, not when freewheeling.
Having read a little on this I suspect it may not actually be the front mech but rather my carbon D-Fuse seat post creaking, despite my putting some of the recommended gripping paste on it when I adjusted it. I'll check it out next time by taking my bum off the seat to see if it still does it?
Now the LBS obviously set up and indexed all the gears and mechs etc. for me, and confirmed the frame size was correct and my seated position on the bike looked OK, so this 'catching' noise is not what I expected, I expected a buttery smooth, slick and polished ride, but sadly that isn't my experience so far, partly due to having been used to front suspension on the old country lanes I frequent, partly because of the aforementioned noises and catching etc, and partly because of the slightly uncomfortable riding position and excessive pressure on my hands and a little neck tightness.

I've also fitted some new Ergon GP5 grips to give me some options on position, but early indications are that I may need a new stem with more of a degree rise on it (the OG has already been flipped when I had it set up at the shop so no more adjustment there), that may just take some of the excessive 'pressure' I feel on my palm, between the wrist and the lower part of my thumb, and alleviate the neck tightness. Perhaps I am leaning too far forward, and putting too much weight on my hands? My seat height is set correctly I think, so I can't lower the seat to reduce the lean down, not without messing my leg and seat set up.

I expected some 'tweaking' may be required on a new bike so it's all to be expected I suppose, but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.....if you're still there that is :okay:
Sloth.

Last edited:
Top Bottom