Giant Defy 2012 and Speedshield mudguards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IBarrett

Über Member
Evening all.

I’ve been wrestling with these ruddy mudguards for days and before admitting defeat I thought the collective might help.

I have a 2012 Defy as my winter bike.
It had old original Giant mudguards on until one broke recently. They were a single piece, with a metal bracket in the middle which went under the Cali per bolt.
The new ones are 2 piece with a bridge over the caliper.

I can’t get the back mudguard to fit.
I’ve managed to get the long section on. But the little section between the caliper and seatpost tube won’t fit.

Now I have to admit I haven’t fitted the 20mm stainless tube that goes through the frame which the caliper attaches to - as it says on the stupid Ikea-esque pictures because it’s far too long and the caliper is then not under tension when tightened up.
And the original stainless tube isn’t threaded all the way through so I can’t screw into the back of it to attach the top of the little bit of mudguard.

Does anyone else have a Defy and Speedshield mudguards and can
A) understand what the hell I am wittering about
B) help me get this thing fitted before I tear it off and jump up and down on it.

Thanks

Steve T

Veteran
I had the same issue with my Giant defy mudguards, I put a bit of rubber where the metal mudguard meets the frame and used a tie wrap ( zip tie) to fix it, 3 years later still going strong.

Top Bottom