Giant defy front dérailleur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deeayen

Hi all, got given a giant defy frame for my birthday so have been trying to transfer the components from my old carrera bike..... I have got fairly far into the swap but have hit a problem with the front derailleur. I have a shimano one from my old bike that just doesn't fit around the giants seat post... Do I need some sort of adaptor or am I simply going to have to buy a new one?? The giant frame seems to have 4 or 5 screw holes around where it should clamp to... Please help :smile:

Gary E

Veteran
The Giant Defy front derailleur doesn't clamp around the post it uses 2 of those threaded holes and a derailleur mount. If nobody else posts a picture in the meantime I'll take a picture of mine tonight and post it.

OP
OP
D

deeayen

thanks for the replies guys... i found that bracket thing and figured that might be what i need... if i buy that bracket i will still need a new derailleur?
ps... stupid question... is a front derailleur the same thing as a front mech?

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Front Mech is used by those who can't spell derallier - so yes they are both the same.

You have a band on front mech by the sound of it( one which goes round the seat tube) which won't fit. Instead you need a brazed on front mech which attaches to a braze on bracket - hence the name. Giant for some reason decided this wasn't good enough and instead of brazing on the bracket made it a screw on.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=braze on shimano front mech&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=imvns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=nK2NT_HmMdT08QPPsOHTCw&ved=0CEsQrQQ&biw=1280&bih=905

I'd get one off ebay as hardly anything can go wrong with them and they are cheaper.

Top Bottom