Giant Defy Standard Tyre Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chrisb1357

Über Member
Hi all,

I have my first road bike on order which is a giant defy and it comes with Giant S-R4, Flat Guard, front and rear specific, 700x25mm tyres and wanted to know how these rate as a standard tyre for all weathers.

My last bike was a giant hybrid which came with Kendra tyres and I changed them to Schwalbe Marathon Plus within the first week due to the amount of punctures but these was a heavy tyre.

Just looking to see if I should run the defy on the standard tyre for a bit to see how they areand would these be ok in wet weather or should I change them

Many Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
I rode on standard giant tyres for at least 1000 miles with no issues

Keep them, see how you fare. Although you may struggle to fit mudguards with 25s, not sure if the giant defy ones fit without rubbing. You will want mudguards if planning on using the bike in wet weather :smile:

OP
OP
C

chrisb1357

Über Member
Was a joke :-) but never had mudguards on my hybrid and never had an issue but the Giant site says this will fit if I did purchase http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb...peedshield.defy.avail.aluxx.fender/592/73459/ Fits 700c x 23-28mm Defy and Avail ALUXX bicycles

So back to tyres. How did you find them on your first 1000 miles

But riding in the rain? Hopefully not with others? Get used to having a mud splattered backside and cleaning the bike a lot!

I'd be rethinking those plans ;)

Doobiesis

Über Member
But riding in the rain? Hopefully not with others? Get used to having a mud splattered backside and cleaning the bike a lot!

I'd be rethinking those plans ;)

I wouldn't put mud guards on my bike. I like cleaning it :smile:

I would change the tyres if I was you. In this weather you need a bit more grip and a more robust tyre against punctures.

OP
OP
C

chrisb1357

Über Member
Everyone to there own I guest

vickster

Legendary Member
My winter road bike looks good with mudguards, I also have a smart new jacket which I don't want stained with muck :smile:

Jimidh

Veteran
I changed the Giant tyres on my Defy after a few rides as they were terrible - the rolling resistance was shocking. Changed them to my preferred Conti GPs4000 and speed improved dramatically.

Giant specific mudguards don't look too bad actually and will keep you a loy drier over the winter.

OP
OP
C

chrisb1357

Über Member
How did u find the grip on them.

I have not been on a bike for a year so just getting back into it all again.

I changed the Giant tyres on my Defy after a few rides as they were terrible - the rolling resistance was shocking. Changed them to my preferred Conti GPs4000 and speed improved dramatically.

Giant specific mudguards don't look too bad actually and will keep you a loy drier over the winter.

Jimidh

Veteran
I think the grip id great on both wet and dry roads and they are fast tyres.

Depends on what type of riding you are doing. I use my Defy for commuting, mostly rural roads, and winter club runs and training hence I am happy to sacrifice a bit less puncture protection for speed.

In saying that I'vr only had one puncture in the last 6 months and that was a huge nail which most tyres would have struggled with.

mick160

I had no problems with the original tyres on my Defy. 2500 miles and never had a p****ure! They've started to 'flat off' a bit now and I've upgraded the wheels so fitted some Schwalbe Durano tyres to the new wheels.

Top Bottom