Giant Defy Standard Tyre Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I've used standard Giant tyres on four different bikes; two road bikes and two hybrids. Never had a problem, or felt the need to replace them before they wore out, with any of them.

13 rider

Guru
Over 1500 miles on my standard giant tyres no issues at all grip OK in all weathers .I ride the defy through the winter . If I was you I ride the standard tyres for a while and see how you go just changing them straight off to me makes no sense .

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
When I replaced the worn out tyres on my hybrid and road bike, I used original Giant ones sourced from the Rutland Cycles sale a couple of years ago. Prices ranged from £4 - £7 each! No problems with any of them.

RegG

Über Member
I've nearly done 1000 miles on my Defy 0 with the standard Giant PR-3 tyres with just one puncture in that time. They seem to be reasonably grippy and I have no problems with them.Having said that, I am unable to personally compare the tyres with anything else. I will be replacing them soon though as I picked up some glass in my rear tyre - it didn't go through the casing but has left a split in the tyre. Looked on the Giant web site and it appears PR-3's are around £30 each - I will be replacing with some Vittoria Rubino's to begin with as I have picked 2 of these up for just over £17 from Wiggle.

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
My giant tyres were OK for dry weather until the first puncture, then they disintegrated. I now use Mitchelin Lithions and had a few punctures and they are still going strong. Worth swapping out at £9 a tyre at decathlon

I also run gatorskins on my steelie, but they have never had a puncture

Kashegan

Regular
After many years away, and having a pretty old Apollo, I'm newly to this business and have bought a Giant Defy 0. It has PR-2 tyres and I was thinking of investing in a spare wheel and tyres(s). Can someone please explain what the differences netween PR-2 and SR-2 are?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
You must have been very unlucky to have so many punctures that you changed your hybrid's tyres within the first week - or maybe they weren't inflated hard enough? Do you have a track pump? If not buy one, and get some miles out of the tyres fitted.

RegG

Über Member
After many years away, and having a pretty old Apollo, I'm newly to this business and have bought a Giant Defy 0. It has PR-2 tyres and I was thinking of investing in a spare wheel and tyres(s). Can someone please explain what the differences netween PR-2 and SR-2 are?

Just checked my Defy 0 and I feel I should point out that the PR-2's are the wheels, NOT the tyres. I think you will find the tyres are PR-3.

When you say you are thinking of investing "in a spare wheel and tyre(s)" I am not sure what you are wanting to do....

Firstly, you do not need a 'spare wheel'. Just make sure you carry a spare inner tube, tyre levers and a pump as a minimum when going for a ride. Then if you do get a puncture you simply replace the tube and repair that when you get home.

The standard tyres should last a reasonable time/mileage but wheels/tyres are probably the best first upgrade you should consider. I swapped my Giant PR-3 tyres after about 1500 miles as I was suffering punctures and they had started to split. I put some Vittoria Rubino G+ tyres on the original wheels and find them to be a very good tyre, but everyone has their favourites. I eventually replaced the standard PR2 wheels with some Vittoria Session wheels which made a noticeable difference to the feel of the bike.

Just a word about the Giant SR-2 wheels - my daughter had these on her Liv Avail and had no end of problems with spokes breaking. She has now replaced them with Fulcrum Racing 3's and has found the bike to be much more responsive and quicker.

Last edited:
Ditto what you said reg
My pr-3 tyres lasted about 2000 miles and although i had no punctures they had started to wear so i didn't want to take any chances.
I was having trouble with the the giant wheels with the spokes breaking and being out of true a lot so i also opted for the fulcrum racing 3's from merlin cycles who were doing a special deal with conti 4000's tyres supplied with the wheels.
To be honest although the fulcums are a much better manufactured wheel than the giant i haven't really noticed much difference in my average speed.

RegG

Über Member
Ditto what you said reg
My pr-3 tyres lasted about 2000 miles and although i had no punctures they had started to wear so i didn't want to take any chances.
I was having trouble with the the giant wheels with the spokes breaking and being out of true a lot so i also opted for the fulcrum racing 3's from merlin cycles who were doing a special deal with conti 4000's tyres supplied with the wheels.
To be honest although the fulcums are a much better manufactured wheel than the giant i haven't really noticed much difference in my average speed.
My daughter got a similar deal from Merlin - Fulcrum Racing 3's with Conti 4000S tyres & tubes already fitted - and she has found them to be much smoother running and quicker than the Giants.

I brought an older defy as a winter bike mainly because of its ability to take mudguards. These have proved very good, no rattling or adjustment required.
I am still running the standard giant tyres - no problem with them, but they don't provide the speed or say GPS400'S or Mich PR4 which I have used on other bikes.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I've had the standard Giant PR tyres on two bikes from new last year, one Defy and one TCR, same model of tyre on both. No punctures or any other issues with grip, rolling resistance or anything else, they're a perfectly good tyre. There is absolutely no need to rush out and buy replacement tyres until the current ones are worn or causing problems.

Kashegan

Regular
Just checked my Defy 0 and I feel I should point out that the PR-2's are the wheels, NOT the tyres. I think you will find the tyres are PR-3.

When you say you are thinking of investing "in a spare wheel and tyre(s)" I am not sure what you are wanting to do....

Firstly, you do not need a 'spare wheel'. Just make sure you carry a spare inner tube, tyre levers and a pump as a minimum when going for a ride. Then if you do get a puncture you simply replace the tube and repair that when you get home.

The standard tyres should last a reasonable time/mileage but wheels/tyres are probably the best first upgrade you should consider. I swapped my Giant PR-3 tyres after about 1500 miles as I was suffering punctures and they had started to split. I put some Vittoria Rubino G+ tyres on the original wheels and find them to be a very good tyre, but everyone has their favourites. I eventually replaced the standard PR2 wheels with some Vittoria Session wheels which made a noticeable difference to the feel of the bike.

Just a word about the Giant SR-2 wheels - my daughter had these on her Liv Avail and had no end of problems with spokes breaking. She has now replaced them with Fulcrum Racing 3's and has found the bike to be much more responsive and quicker.

Thanks for the clarification, I now see that the tyres are PR-3's. The reason for the spare wheel is because I have a turbo trainer and my old bike had an indoor 'trainer' tyre fitted. I was going to fit the 'indoor' tyre to a spare wheel so that I can quickly and easily change wheels for outdoor use. The old wheel is a 6 speed freewheel, wheras the new bike is a 11 speed cassette, so they are not compatable.

Top Bottom