Giant Defy v Carrera Virtuso?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rushy

Hello all,
Yes I'm a newbie (not cycled properly on road for years..) and my Marin Bobtail MTB is not ideal for what I want to use a bike for now.
I'm now looking at entry level road bikes and I'm trying to compare and look for advice on the following two bikes:
Carrera Virtuoso Race 2012 and the Giant Defy 4 (or even 3) 2011/2012

Any advice/knowledge will be gratefully accepted!
Cheers!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Giant Defy. Better frame, better built.

Nearly there

Veteran
Giant frames are considered among the best out there but Is it worth the extra (on average)
£100 over the carrera?as the carrera is a good solid bike too mmm I think the carrera virtuoso is no better than the cheaper carrera TDF imo so If you can afford it id get the giant.

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
Agree with them. I'm a committed Virt rider, but I wouldnt pick it over a Giant if I had the readies.

johnnyh

Veteran
I would be amazed if there was anything more between them than the stickers applied.

Go sit on them both and buy the one that feels best :smile:

OP
OP
R

Rushy

Interesting and useful replies, thanks. I think I already knew that Giant have a better reputation (spent days now researching..) basically it will be for weekend rides on lanes etc. and the odd 22 mile round trip commute. The Virtuoso got my attention on the price TBH, but the Defy 3 & 4 are very tempting for the extra £100-£175. Decisions decisions..

sabian92

Über Member
GIANT!!! You can always trust them more than a Carrera

It isn't even the bike that's the problem - it's Halfords. I have a 2010 one and I love it but the 2012 one is lower specced for the money and I would never take mine back for a service at Halfords.

Alex11

It isn't even the bike that's the problem - it's Halfords. I have a 2010 one and I love it but the 2012 one is lower specced for the money and I would never take mine back for a service at Halfords.
Halfords are awful aren't they! Bought a 3 quid Presta valve attachment from there. Broken after first use!

sabian92

Über Member
Halfords are awful aren't they! Bought a 3 quid Presta valve attachment from there. Broken after first use!

Eh, their actual stock as well as their staff are quite hit and miss but their bikes (not the Apollo and Trax, they're utter shite) are pretty decent. I got mine 80 quid off so I only paid 300 for it and for what I got for the money I can't argue.

OP
OP
R

Rushy

went to Halfrauds sat on the Virtuoso Ltd Edition. Only had the small in store, & the gear change was broken even though it was new.. Not overwhelmed by it. Fair play to the sales lad, very helpful and knew his stuff. That was Romford branch.. the Chadwell Heath branch wouldnt have noticed me if I was dancing naked holding a sparkler. So, now looking at the Defy 3 & 4 again although the Btwin has got great reviews for it's price, just dont like red bikes (or cars).

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
GO FOR THE GIANT - i have the defy 4 and it was the best decision i made

Top Bottom