Giant Peloton SS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Tightened up the chain some more and my seat stem arrived!

20140812_130235.jpg

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Hmm food for thought, I have a Giant CFR 2 which looks same as that but carbon tubed. What hub are you using on the back ? Is it a freewheel conversion or is it a single speed screw on hub type thingy! :smile: Pretty sure I measured the BB chainline on mine and could fit a track chainset on there and get a 45mm chainline at the front, then just need to sort the spacing at the back. Already have a Langster so this is just playing around. Mind you time I added up all the bits I could probably fit a groupset on for not much more if hunting around the classifieds.

It's a flip flop hub with freewheel on one side and fixed on the other. It's all new to me so I'm unsure what my options are with the BB & chainsets etc. I'll get my rear wheel re-dished at some point though to better the chain line!

Andrew1971

Veteran
Hi
If you plan on getting a new chain set i would leave the rear wheel alone and see what can be done with a new chain set on.
If you redish the wheel you wont be able to use the other side as if something goes wrong with single speed.

Hi
If you plan on getting a new chain set i would leave the rear wheel alone and see what can be done with a new chain set on.
If you redish the wheel you wont be able to use the other side as if something goes wrong with single speed.

Good point. Never thought about that! Not that'll ill use the fixed side, it could come in handy if something goes wrong!

Ditched the tensioner / two speed idea for now because the chain kept getting thrown off recently when testing it. I can always go back to it.

Going to try and get the perfect chain tension with the right cog ratio with/without half link if its possible. According to the online calculator it COULD work.

How do you measure chainstay length? Keep reading conflicting information online. I've measured a length of 40.5cm.

Below it's set up as 53×18. Chain too tight and far too big a gear for my commute... but it's soo quiet! :smile:

20140822_133818.jpg

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
WARNING do not used fixed cog with a chain tensioner!
(Put another S/S cog on there for emergencies if you must.)

As an aside, I tried using both double & triple chainsets, but found it much easier to stick with a single, you soon get used to pushing a little harder uphill, (or, in my case, walking), & just relax going downhill). But, as with anything, it is your machine - enjoy.:bicycle:

Right. On my bike just now i have 39t x 18t. 46" chain is too tight. Adding a halflink to make it 46.5" makes the chain too loose.

So I have ordered a Sturmey archer 17t freewheel. (39t×17t; 60gi) This should reduce the distance the chain needs to travel by 1/4". Keeping the 46" chain which was previously too tight, it 'should' fit nice.

If all works out well I can reduce the 17t to a 15t, remove two links and replace with a half link to give me a nice 68gi!

Spent the last few days getting my head around it. Not the easiest haha.

On another note I'm not entirely convinced that this:
http://eehouse.org/fixin/formfmu.php
has completely accurate information.

Cheers

Last edited:
Top Bottom