Giant Peloton SS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Brilliant! You are on the road . . . .
Easing myself in slowly.. haha

Hit 33.6mph on a short flat :smile:
Screenshot_2014-10-24-12-56-24.png

(Need to get faster! Haha)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4F

jim55

Guru
If ur building a fixed gear bike and your not quite sure what I mean I'd question wether u should even ride it!
Fixed gear / wheel bikes need to have a permanent connection with your feet and obv its a way of controlling speed and not letting the bike get away from u
Do u intend going down a hill and just putting yr feet out to the side and whizzing down the hill while the pedals rotate wildly and u can't stop them and when u need to pedal again u find that they are spinning to fast for u to get your feet back on and poss scraping ur shin/calve in the process and (more than likely getting your trousers or something caught in the wildly flailing pedals and the bike spitting you off)
A fixed gear bike without some form of foot retention is dangerous ,look at most ,cleats toe clips orthings I can't remember name of u twist ur foot into
Research it

I take it that you didnt catch the sarcasm in my comment. Your previous comment was just plain blunt and full of assumptions. I have researched it, I understand the dangers of running without foot retention, thats why i am currently using toe clips, I'm also currently looking at some a520 or m520 pedals and cleats purely from research and the good reviews I have came across for their reasonable price. Also I'm not going downhills letting the pedals 'rotate wildly' as I use a combination of brakes and pushing back on the pedals.

As it goes, don't assume, it just makes an ass out of you and me.

jim55

Guru
  1. How important is Foot Retention??
    Sorry I'm new so feel free to bash

I've heard people say having foot retention and/or toe clips is a must on a fixed gear.

2. If you're going brakeless foot retention is a must; life or death
You asked a question I answered!!
The assumption was made because I read all of the thread and at no point did u mention it and when I raised the issue you replied " being a newbie you didn't understand "
How was I to know you posted an ( by your own admission ironic comment??????iv offered advice and u seem to think I'm being a smart arse! Your response was taken as somebody who didn't know the basics ,they're only one ass here and it's not been me

Raised the issue? You offered no help in your first comment. Just a blunt statement with a smug looking 'emoji'. You assumed I knew nothing about the issue. I'll make sure to document everything in the future.

Anyways, I have cycled to and from work twice this week, been hard but I love it. First day on the return 8 miles I was cycling into a head wind but hey ho. Averaging 13mph over a fairly hilly route, in my eyes anyways. 4% gradient on one hill. I'll get stronger :smile:.

DaveS

I have cycled to and from work twice this week, been hard but I love it. First day on the return 8 miles I was cycling into a head wind but hey ho. Averaging 13mph over a fairly hilly route, in my eyes anyways. 4% gradient on one hill. I'll get stronger :smile:.

Brilliant. If it's too hard, gear down for six months or so. It's largely a different way of riding, working with the bike rather than forcing it. Aerodynamics is critical. Keep narrow and low.

Brilliant. If it's too hard, gear down for six months or so. It's largely a different way of riding, working with the bike rather than forcing it. Aerodynamics is critical. Keep narrow and low.
Thankyou for the helpful information. I could change over to my 17t freewheel or even get a 17t fixed. Although it's not too hard going so ill keep at it for now :smile:.
I was trying to keep low on Wednesday but it was a bit uncomfortable. But I'm still fiddling about with my set up!

Top Bottom