Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 as a "general" bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclenon

Hi there,

looking for some advice from someone more experienced.
I'm looking for a second "good" bike.

This will live overseas, only used on holiday in a country with hot weather (35C) and both long flats and steep inclines (say average 6% but can be as high as 10% in some cases).

I did not seek an aero frame, but it's been offered to me at a very good price and low mileage.
Looking for some advice from other Propel / aero frame owners:

(1) How comfortable is it day to day?
I think I could probably be OK with this if I replaced the stem and ran lower pressures and 25mm (currently running 65/70 which is very comfortable on my other bike)?

(2) Is it silly to even consider tackling a steep incline with an aero frame (don't see that many on the tour?), or am I worrying about the wrong thing? For what it's worth the frame + fork weight penalty vs my current Scott CR1 is around 90 grams (which is nothing).

Other options are to build up another Scott CR1 with lightweight components, or something like a Giant TCR Advanced 1.

It's just that the price is so attractive on the Propel (including some decent stock wheels) I feel like I should at least seriously consider it....

Thanks

Disclaimer: I only ride for pleasure / commuting.
Never raced or been part of a club.

Last edited:

Tin Pot

Guru
You're going to leave a decent bike in an unattended holiday home?

Tin Pot

Guru
Well, personally speaking, the idea of buying a two and a half grand race machine and sticking it in a shed abroad for fifty weeks a year is...criminal.

It's like have a Ferrari garage queen.

Buy it for a steal, sell it to me for an even better steal, and tell your mates your sponsoring a triathlete.

OP
OP
C

Cyclenon

Well, personally speaking, the idea of buying a two and a half grand race machine and sticking it in a shed abroad for fifty weeks a year is...criminal.

It's like have a Ferrari garage queen.

Buy it for a steal, sell it to me for an even better steal, and tell your mates your sponsoring a triathlete.

I don't disagree, but at the price it's no different than the alternatives so...
Do you think it's madness to ride an aero frame up the mountains?

Ta.

Tin Pot

Guru
I don't disagree, but at the price it's no different than the alternatives so...
Do you think it's madness to ride an aero frame up the mountains?

Ta.

No.

It's a common misconception though.

Plus you're not racing so it's even less relevant.

Oldbloke

Guru
I bought one last year on the strength of a 2 hours' test ride mainly on the flat; reviews said a good all rounder.

Didn't suit me at all when it came to hills though! Stopped liking it after a few months because of this and got shot.

OP
OP
C

Cyclenon

Thanks everyone for your replies.
On balance I decided against the Propel.

Other things being equal, I'm too soft (:sad:) and would rather go for the lightweight(er) option...

Top Bottom