Giant Propel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Domus

Guru
My bike is a Ribble CR1 with Gatorskin tyres, my first "road"bike. It is sold as a cyclo cross all rounder. I am quite nervous on downhills and use the brakes quite a lot, not keen on going over 25 mph.

I quite fancy a short break next spring in Tuscany with a company who provide the bikes and all the kit.
Question is how different will the Propel be? Faster? More twitchy? More stable? All advice welcome.

Ta

Peter

vickster

Legendary Member
@simon the viking got one in the summer

Other threads too if you pop propel in the search box

S-Express

Propel is an unusual choice for a holiday cycle hire business (bikes like the TCR or Defy would make more sense) - do they not offer any other bike options?

DRM

Guru
I have a carbon Giant Defy, all I willl say is it was me who decided 41 mph on one descent was quite fast enough, rather than the bike feeling unsafe/twitchy.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I did buy one... Cracking bike love it!!!! But not a touring bike.... And very rapid downhill.... Had it over 40 on several descents
Any bike can be very rapid downhill - it's all down to gravity and mass.
I did 50.3mph downhill on my steel Ridgeback Voyage touring bike with a pannier on, earlier this year. This obviously proves that the Ridgeback is a better bike than the Propel...... and I can tour on it :whistle:
I usually hit over 40 mph on most of the descents round here, regardless of which bike I'm on.
Screenshot_2016-11-20-08-39-57.png

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Any bike can be very rapid downhill - it's all down to gravity and mass.
I did 50.3mph downhill on my steel Ridgeback Voyage touring bike with a pannier on, earlier this year. This obviously proves that the Ridgeback is a better bike than the Propel...... and I can tour on it :whistle:
I usually hit over 40 mph on most of the descents round here, regardless of which bike I'm on.
View attachment 151792
Indeed i have clocked 38 on a very short hill on my subway and 46 on longer hills on my boardman , But as @simon the viking says its not a bike designed for all day comfort from what i have read .

OP
OP
Domus

Domus

Guru
This is what caught my eye. http://lacorsa.cc
I love the area, my idea is the 5 day tour in April after driving to Italy in the Caterham, then driving home again by a different route over the Alps.

It seems they are getting Giant TCRs next year.

OP
OP
Domus

Domus

Guru
Well, bullet bitten and booked, 4 months (weather permitting) to improve my skills.
Another tick on my bucket list, driving the Seven over the Alps. Cue Matt Munro...................."On days like these":music:

Top Bottom