Giant Road E+ 1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've been meaning to post photos of the rack (Tubus Logo Classic 26/28) and mudguards (SKS Longboard 45mm) that I've fitted to my Road E+1, so here are a few. Hopefully they may be of use to others considering doing the same. Load carrying is now a breeze!

The lower rack fitment holes are not particularly well designed. They necessitate using multiple washers (6 x M6) inside the frame plus the wide spacer between the frame and rack leg, meaning a loaded rack will be exerting a hefty levering force across a sizable proportion of the bolt's 30mm length. For this reason, it is essential to use M6 rather than M5 bolts. Clearance between the nuts/bolts for the rack/mudguards and the rotor is a few mm, as the photos show.

Since the frame has no upper rack fitment holes, I've used a seat tube collar with integrated rack mounts, which reasonably elegantly deals with Giant's ridiculous omission to have dedicated frame bosses.

For the Longboard mudguards, I removed the SKS mudflaps that come fitted, as they are too stiff (meaning if the front catches on anything like a low kerb etc it will weaken and then break the front). I replaced them with long reflective RAW mudflaps, which are much better. The front flap is nice and low to the ground, helping protect feet, drivetrain and motor, but is flexible and so if catching a low kerb will just bend back a bit and not damage the mudguard. The rear acts as a good highly reflective surface shining straight back at drivers (although it appears black in daylight).

The front left mudguard stay is spaced to clear the disc brake caliper using a long M5 bolt and 4 of the very useful spacers that SKS now thankfully supplies with its Longboard mudguards.

View attachment 378620 View attachment 378621 View attachment 378622 View attachment 378623 View attachment 378624 View attachment 378626 View attachment 378627 View attachment 378628 View attachment 378633 View attachment 378634

Class fettling - I've seen factory fit mudguards which are not as neat as yours.

OP
OP
Foghat

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
Just noticed the mirror on your bars, Is that a Sprintech mirror? Just wondering if you can see much with them being on the small side, also with it being in such a low position to view, does it get in the way of the knees? @Foghat

Yep - Sprintech. Really useful for commuting.

The image is a bit small, but it's not much of a problem. The main limiting factor in obtaining a clear rear view is being bounced to hell on corrugated and potholed roads.

I don't find my knees/legs obscuring much of the view - certainly not a problem, but then I do ride with my knees fairly close to the frame. Bandy-leggers may find their legs blocking more.

I'd prefer the handlebar ends to be a bit shorter, bringing the mirror forward and meaning less head movement is required. The bar ends do seem pretty long compared with other handlebars in my fleet, so I may cut 30-40mm off.

Last edited:

sight-pin

Veteran
Yep - Sprintech. Really useful for commuting.

The image is a bit small, but it's not much of a problem. The main limiting factor in obtaining a clear rear view is being bounced to hell on corrugated and potholed roads.

I don't find my knees/legs obscuring much of the view - certainly not a problem, but then I do ride with my knees fairly close to the frame. Bandy-leggers may find their legs blocking more.

I'd prefer the handlebar ends to be a bit shorter, bringing the mirror forward and meaning less head movement is required. The bar ends do seem pretty long compared with other handlebars in my fleet, so I may cut 30-40mm off.

Cheers. I'll order a pair with some other bits tomorrow then.
"The main limiting factor in obtaining a clear rear view is being bounced to hell on corrugated and potholed roads.Lol,"
Certainly does bounce, Lol.

TyrannosaurusTreks

Formerly known as Giantbadge
Thanks for that, albeit somewhat concerning.

I haven't taken the fork out to see what's going on in there, but guess I may have to, but then I don't seem to have had your problem. My bike did go through two bouts of unusual-sounding creaking in the initial few weeks after purchase - I diagnosed these as the plastic frame/motor guards settling into position (the sounds didn't seem like they were coming from the headset/fork area), and the creaking disappeared some time ago.

Will be interested to hear on developments with your bike.

Forks have only just left the factory that’s a funny 2 week wait.
The problem I was told today is the alloy sleeve that goes over fork stem is welded on the bottom but at the top they use a clue resin to allow bearing to slide onto.
He said that there seems to be too much play from sleeve to stem & what’s happening is the clue breaks it’s seal hence the movement & noise,
Apparently other forks are welded top & bottom.
I have spoke with them today about a refund on the bike if the bike isn’t ready next week as over the time I’ve had the 2 bikes it been in there workshop 8 weeks in total.
They are happy to refund me so that’s good, I do like the bike it’s just a shame to have all this hassle.

TyrannosaurusTreks

Had a call from the owner of bicycle chain today expressing how sorry he is with all the problems I have had & he has called the giant rep again today & it turns out giant have made a one off fork for my bike :wacko:.
So I don’t know if there will be a recall on your bikes as well?.
Will post some pic’s when it turns up.
As a gesture he has offered me a bike fit free of charge & will set up both my bikes ^_^.

sight-pin

Veteran
I'm sure they'll get it sorted for you, apart from the time factor of waiting for parts it looks like Giant give good after sale service.

kellis

just wondering what sort of tyre pressure every one is using in PSI please

OP
OP
Foghat

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
The problem I was told today is the alloy sleeve that goes over fork stem is welded on the bottom but at the top they use a clue resin to allow bearing to slide onto.
He said that there seems to be too much play from sleeve to stem & what’s happening is the clue breaks it’s seal hence the movement & noise,
Apparently other forks are welded top & bottom.

Thanks for the update. Hopefully your Road E+ troubles are now resolved.

By fork stem, I presume they mean the steerer tube? I guess I'm going to have to take mine apart for an inspection at some point.

By 'other forks' being welded top and bottom, do you mean other 2016/17 Road E+1 forks - i.e. your suggesting fork was unusual compared with other Road E+1s? No sign of a recall yet.

TyrannosaurusTreks

Thanks for the update. Hopefully your Road E+ troubles are now resolved.

By fork stem, I presume they mean the steerer tube? I guess I'm going to have to take mine apart for an inspection at some point.

By 'other forks' being welded top and bottom, do you mean other 2016/17 Road E+1 forks - i.e. your suggesting fork was unusual compared with other Road E+1s? No sign of a recall yet.

The dealer was trying to say other bikes in general not the e bike.
It was the steerer tube, my forks still haven’t arrived yet :angry:

Top Bottom