Giant Road E+ 1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sight-pin

Veteran
Great post foghat, I had numerous problems with both 50t & 34t & chain rubbing front derailleur especially when trying to put some power down.
I'm not that good at adjusting & tweaking so luckily for me the dealer is 5 minute ride away & there always keen to help.
This new bike now seems to be set up better than my first so all good at the moment.

That's good to hear mate, Enjoy:okay:

OP
OP
Foghat

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
As for the "inline adjusters" mine just seem to be very tight to move and not do very much at all, TBH i wasn't sure that's what they was lol.
It could definitely do with a cable adjuster where the outer cable ends on the seat tube.

Yes, they are very tight, and need unscrewing for hours before having an effect on cable tension. Poor choice by Giant, given decent adjusters do actually exist.

Anyway, I've got my eye on the latest iteration of Ultegra (8000). The new front derailleur apparently has a built-in cable tension adjustment capability, eliminating the need for an inline adjuster.

I'm sure the Shimano adjusters I've bought (SM-BA01) will do a better job, with more effective and easier adjustability, than the low quality ones selected by Giant. But if necessary, an upgrade to an Ultegra 8000 front derailleur, when available, will always be an option.....

Last edited:

sight-pin

Veteran
I've got my eye on the latest iteration of Ultegra (8000). The new front derailleur apparently has a built-in cable tension adjustment capability, eliminating the need for an inline adjuster.

I'm sure the Shimano adjusters I've bought (SM-BA01) will do a better job, with more effective and easier adjustability, than the low quality ones selected by Giant. But if necessary, an upgrade to an Ultegra 8000 front derailleur, when available, will always be an option.....

Good idea, I'll keep that in mind, It'll definitely be worth the upgrade.
Thing is when you put the bike on the stand, you can't put it under load to allow the motor to kick in, so the gear adjustment works fine, it's just a matter of trial
and error.

TyrannosaurusTreks

Formerly known as Giantbadge
Went out in light rain last Saturday & then put battery on charge for the Sunday ride.
When I got to the bike in the morning the screen was on which was strange as it didn't happen on old bike, then when I tried to turn bike off it wouldn't ?.
So went for my ride & when i got back it still wouldn't turn off so I had to take battery off.
I've been on holiday this week so when I get back tomorrow I hope it will be back to normal.
Anyone else had a problem??.

sight-pin

Veteran
Maybe the screen or switch got a little damp inside due to the rain.
Not been out in the rain myself, only a very light short drop once.
You could do a search on google to see if you can find a similar problem. Let us know if it still comes on upon your return.

Edit: Out of interest, did you have the bigger rectangular screen with your 2016 version?

Last edited:

TyrannosaurusTreks

IMG_0156.JPG
I've now got the 2017, wouldn't say it got really wet as only went out for an hour.

TyrannosaurusTreks

What was the result when you returned, screen still the same?
Well after a week away I tried the battery back in & still bike wouldn't switch off.
So I thought what the hell I took it out for an hour & when I got it switch off.
Not had a problem since touch wood, I also lost about 30 miles off the odd meter as well which was strange.
Will be charging again this weekend so hope all will be good.
I found coming home last night that when going over 16mph I turned power to off & the bike seemed to ride a lot smoother.

TyrannosaurusTreks

Not getting much luck with this bike, while out riding after around 8 miles the bottom half of the screen would go white.
The lads at the shop took it out & same result so they have ordered a new screen.
Also a few weeks ago the head stock was making a real loud creeking noise, they stripped it down & found there was no grease at all on bearings or steam.

sight-pin

Veteran
I developed a creaking noise from the head tube after the first couple of rides, then it just disappeared after: although it was apparent for a another couple of rides before it did. I did suspect a lack of grease after checking the head bolt for tightness and felt for any play in the head set.

Isn't the screen detachable with the new 2017 version?

TyrannosaurusTreks

Don't think so, it's bolted on & it still has a cable running down to motor where connections are.
They have ordered new one due in next week so I'm back on my defy 4 for now.

Top Bottom