Giant Road E+ 1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm finding my battery is still giving me 130 plus I try to get down to 10% then charge fully, so maybe I should charge more often as I try to get in 50miles a week when time & weather lets me.
So to discharge I run battery flat while out or is there another way?.

The only safe way is to 'flatten' the battery is to use the bike until the motor cuts out.

Strictly, there will still be some juice in the battery, but batteries can be damaged by deep discharge so the electronics of the bike prevents you from damaging the battery.

sight-pin

Veteran
Wouldn't like to be the wrong side of the hills when it switches off ^_^
I've have Li-ion batteries in my drill since 2007 i think it is, still fine and fully charge ok, I would of thought that these batteries would be similar.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
No reports of Yamaha batteries conking out, but the system is still relatively new.

Some of the cheaper Chinese ebike batteries won't hold a useful amount of charge after two or three years.

Indications are Bosch and Yamaha will last longer than that.

My oldest Bosch batteries are coming up to five years.

Still holding as much charge as they ever did, but inevitably decline will happen at some point.

jagar

I bought a Giant Road E 2018 a few weeks ago and use it for commuting to work 3-4 days a week (~40-60 miles roundtrip) and after ~700 miles I have to say that I am pretty happy with it with a few caveats.

I am a little disappointed with the range, as I get under 40 miles on normal mode (I cross the Bay Area, so it is mostly flat with a few hills). My commute is 22miles each way, so I can't make it back home in normal mode with a single charge. Furthermore I live on the top of a very steep hill so I have to ride at least 10-15miles on Eco (or power off) in order to have enough juice to make my last hill (I usually get home with 000 miles of Range / 5% or less battery).

I noted the milage is very depending on the way you ride. I have pretty strong legs as I do 4000+ miles a year (both road and MTB) and on my first ride with the Road-E I killed 70% of the battery in just 22 miles (no major hills) as I rode the e-bike the same way I used to ride my regular road bike (i.e. putting a lot of leg power to get top speed as soon as possible after a traffic light, sprinting uphill, etc)

I am looking for information on how to "hack" the display as I am really interested on showing the readings of the power meter, and wattage the engine power uses so I can fine-tune my riding to get the most miles out of it.

I bought my bike in Bike Connection of Palo Alto, and they didn't seem to have a lot of technical insight into the bike other than the basics of regular operation. They told me the USB in the display allows powering small electronics (haven't tried if it can charge my iPhone yet). Seems the battery, and charger are both made by Yamaha (like the engine) and there is a shortage of batteries and power supplies so you have to pay upfront before they order one for you (the 500W Battery is supposed to cost around $1,000 and the power supply $150)

I tried buying a generic power supply in Amazon (http://amzn.to/2xj2oLt) but it didn't charge the Giant EnergyPak 500 battery (the Amazon seller thinks the Giant battery may have some electronics which prevent a generic charger from charging the battery)

Hope this helps other people!

TyrannosaurusTreks

Formerly known as Giantbadge
Is the bike restricted to 25mph? If so it's possible after 44 miles if it's hilly but I would expect more out of it.
In the U.K. We're restricted to 15mph so our battery last at least double that.
I don't think you will be able to to hack the screen, maybe when it's been around a bit longer & as to USB lights & phone charging is possible.

Last edited:

proton666

on my first ride with the Road-E I killed 70% of the battery in just 22 miles (no major hills) as I rode the e-bike the same way I used to ride my regular road bike (i.e. putting a lot of leg power to get top speed as soon as possible after a traffic light, sprinting uphill, etc)

Got mine at the same place (we should start an "E" club lol).

My first ride was about 50% eco, 50% normal and I did the "loop" (26 miles (average speed was about 17 MPH)).

Did not recharge and set out a day later and did Page Mill Road up to Moody (normal mode), back down to Arastradero via Page Mill (eco mode / some off mode too), over to Alpine, took Alpine all the way up to dirt Alpine then took it to the point where you have to exit the fire road and go onto that dicy trail bypass (normal mode), turned around and looped home (downtown Palo Alto) via Alpine (mostly normal with a bit of eco mode). In all 32 miles that day (average speed was about 18 MPH with about 1500 to 1700 vertical feet of climbing).

So in total that's 58 miles with a fairly even split of eco and normal mode and I still had 26% left on the battery.

I switch it off on any decent that will take me close to 25 MPH because at that speed the assist really isn't .

So you must be crushing it to be able to suck out 70% in just 22 miles! What was your average speed?

sight-pin

Veteran
The display showed just 16 left this morning so went for a very local ride to run the battery down. Very windy but was no problem with the drive in sport mode apart from the gust taking my front wheel now and then. Just after the display was showing '4' it cut out at 7.3 miles with a 463ft ascent, lucky enough only a few hundred yards from home.
Managed 62 miles in 'Sport' mode with an ascent of 2500ft in total: battery now on charge.

I've had mine about about 3 months now and I've ridden about 650 miles on it. I usually ride about half eco/half "normal" mode. I've not used power much all except to show off on uphills. I usually ride 30 to 35 miles per ride and I have about 55% battery life at the end of the ride. Sometimes I will switch the system off...it is pretty easy to maintain 18 to 20 mph on flats without an assist. I have ridden road and gravel - upgraded the tires to Schwalbe Marathons and increased the size to 38. The dash tells me that I have a range of about 100 miles in eco mode and I think it could most likely do that if I kept it in eco all the time.

Mavverick

Got mine at the same place (we should start an "E" club lol).

My first ride was about 50% eco, 50% normal and I did the "loop" (26 miles (average speed was about 17 MPH)).

Did not recharge and set out a day later and did Page Mill Road up to Moody (normal mode), back down to Arastradero via Page Mill (eco mode / some off mode too), over to Alpine, took Alpine all the way up to dirt Alpine then took it to the point where you have to exit the fire road and go onto that dicy trail bypass (normal mode), turned around and looped home (downtown Palo Alto) via Alpine (mostly normal with a bit of eco mode). In all 32 miles that day (average speed was about 18 MPH with about 1500 to 1700 vertical feet of climbing).

So in total that's 58 miles with a fairly even split of eco and normal mode and I still had 26% left on the battery.

I switch it off on any decent that will take me close to 25 MPH because at that speed the assist really isn't .

So you must be crushing it to be able to suck out 70% in just 22 miles! What was your average speed?

I'm in the Bay Area as well, Road E 2017 model. I'm also a little surprised at the range jagar is getting. I did a 40 mile ride around downtown Oakland, up Grizzly Peak, to Skyline and got home with 35% battery left.

I usually do most of my rides in eco...occasionally changing to normal mode on longer hills/inclines. I'm in Kansas and believe it or not we DO have hills here. Not as much scenery as there is in the SF Bay area, but pretty in it's own way. Today I put it in normal mode for the entire ride, except for about 5 miles on a hike/bike trail...normal is far too fast for that. I rode just under 30 miles at an average speed of 19 mph. Total climb as 1300 feet. The battery has about 25% left, so I would have to concur with jagar - 40 miles on normal mode would be tough to do. The computer says it has a range of about 75 miles in normal mode on a full charge, but I'd really like to understand the riding style it uses to calculate that range. My "style" was that I felt like I was riding a bike, but I wasn't killing myself to average almost 20 mph, so it was apparently providing quite a bit of assist.

sight-pin

Veteran
Anyone know what the threaded hole is for at the back of the crankcase nearest to the rear tyre?
Looks to go right through into the case, I'm just wondering about water splashing off the tyre.
Do you have a plug of some description in the hole?

kellis

Anyone know what the threaded hole is for at the back of the crankcase nearest to the rear tyre?
Looks to go right through into the case, I'm just wondering about water splashing off the tyre.
Do you have a plug of some description in the hole?
hi i am new to this forum i have had my giant road e for about 1 month now and i love it i have used the hole you are asking about to secure my rear mudguard

Top Bottom