giant sizing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclist33

I would have to disagree, I am also 5.11 and found that on the M/L my arms were fully locked out whilst on the hoods and it felt like a bit of a stretch. I also needed the seat quite low on the M/L but maybe because I only have a 31" inside leg. I could have made it work if necessary but the medium was much better and just felt more comfortable overall.

Everyone is different though and bike fit is often quite subjective.

Agreed. 'Orses fer courses!

OP
OP
H

Heigue'r

Veteran
Will update fri afternoon after ive had a spin, im alot happier myself having changed from the large anyway, and there was a reply on here yesterday about it being easier to make a smaller bike fit than a bike thats too big,5 11 in safety shoes so more like 5 10, linked post to giant sizing and it is the recommended size so am going to stay positive :smile:, a bike fitting would of been good allright!!

Cyclist33

Bike fitting: potato potaahto. Just bung the seat up a bit and or faff around with the handlebar position if you find you need to.

Plenty of money to be spent and made on a bike fitting but really, you know your own body best, work out what level of riding you want to do and muck about with power vs comfort till you find what works for you. Plenty of youtube vids on bike fitting if you want to save a packet and still set yourself up like a fitter would :thumbsup:

vickster

Legendary Member
Will update fri afternoon after ive had a spin, im alot happier myself having changed from the large anyway, and there was a reply on here yesterday about it being easier to make a smaller bike fit than a bike thats too big,5 11 in safety shoes so more like 5 10, linked post to giant sizing and it is the recommended size so am going to stay positive :smile:, a bike fitting would of been good allright!!

You don't need a bike fit...just to sit on the bike, you can tell pretty quickly if a bike will fit (even if tweaks needed). Yes, you can make a bike a bit bigger but not that much, being cramped can be as bad as being stretched

OP
OP
H

Heigue'r

Veteran
Cheers, sorry thats what I meant, sit on bike as opposed to bike fit, looking forward to friday! Shiney new bike as long as it fits lol....lol

tudor_77

Über Member
I wouldn't worry too much, its easy to get obsessive over bike fit. Like I said I am 5.11 and have really long arms like a yeti and still find that I have the saddle as far forward as it will go. The guy who works in the Giant store also said he was 5.10 and also took a Medium throughout the entire range of bikes.

At 5.10 (without shoes) you are bang on a medium for sizing for a Giant Defy. Hope you enjoy your new bike, the Defy is an awesomely fun ride!

SteCenturion

I am your Father
I'm 6 ft and have a ML and it's perfect.
+1 for M/L @Heigue'r

I (Had !!) a large Defy & at just 6ft 0 with a 33" leg it was just too big.

I bought mine 2nd hand from a Cycle shop & at the time Giant didn't offer a M/L & so after struggling & therefore not riding it much, I sold it on.

I would suggest a M/L would be perfect & the Medium too small.

Hope I am not too late.

Oh, by the way, Giants size charts suggest this to be correct too.

Best Luck.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Defy 3, 2013. 5 ft 11 and a half. No really.

Went for M/L with a 1cm shorter than standard stem. Fits like a glove.
Must be a weird looking bike.

Fingerless, full finger or mitts ?

tudor_77

Über Member
Yes, as vickster suggests distance selling regulations will indeed apply. However, at 5.10 its hard to imagine that OP will find the medium too small. At that height he probably could make the M/L work if he fitted a smaller stem and set the saddle height quite low. There seems to be some confusion in the thread with posters suggesting that M/L is perfect for someone who is 6.0, even though OP is stated as 5.10?

Again, bike fit is completely subjective but I think he would have regretted getting the M/L in the long term but this is just my opinion. For all I know OP might like his bikes on the slightly larger side, I see people happily riding round on bikes that are slightly too big and with the saddle set really low all the time, who am I to judge?

However, if this was the case the bike could be returned although I think OP will be liable for return postage but that depends upon the individual companies own policy. I still think it will be fine though personally.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm not sure why the OP didn't go to a giant dealer and sit on the different sizes in the first place...not like it's a rare model or bespoke build

Top Bottom