giant sizing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tudor_77

Über Member
True, although there may have been a really good deal to be had through an online seller. I keep seeing the Defy range being sold for silly money at the moment as they clear stock for the new upcoming 2015 range.

vickster

Legendary Member
Could still have gone to have a sit on them, the OP isn't too far from the giant store in London. I think there were better deals, and there's always a possibility to negotiate. Better than spending £800 or whatever on a bike that isn't the right size IMO

tudor_77

Über Member
Oh right, didn't realise he was so close to a Giant store. Still, I think he will get on with M just fine imo but never can tell with bike fit as its such a personal thing, especially when you are right between sizes like me and OP. I also find it takes at least a week of riding a bike and giving it little tweaks here and there before it starts to feel 'right'.

huwsparky

Über Member
Could still have gone to have a sit on them, the OP isn't too far from the giant store in London. I think there were better deals, and there's always a possibility to negotiate. Better than spending £800 or whatever on a bike that isn't the right size IMO

I called in my lbs yesterday and sat on a medium defy composite 3 and a m/l defy 1. I'm 5' 8" and liked the medium with the bars tilted forward a few degrees. I just felt that I could put the power down better on the medium but I could well understand someone wanting a slightly larger bike.

Bad news is they couldn't get me any bike other than a defy composite 1 in a M/L from giant which I found really hard to believe. It was either that or take a display bike at full price. Total madness.

When I bought my avail in July 2 years ago, it was the last one in the UK, according to the giant site.

Giant run their stock down at this time of year

huwsparky

Über Member
When I bought my avail in July 2 years ago, it was the last one in the UK, according to the giant site.

Giant run their stock down at this time of year

I asked when they would have display 2015 bikes and he gave me a blank look!

Strange thing is I could still buy a 2013 defy from some cycle shops online...

OP
OP
H

Heigue'r

Veteran
Giant have a new design on the new defy, me being the op I really didnt have time to get to a giant store to sit on the bike for testing therefor the post in the first place, work an very active 2 year old put paid to that, I am pleased to say that I have received my new defy 1 in medium size and after having a quick setup it is a really nice fit,saddle is by no means at the top end of its settings, arms on hoods very very comfortable, moreso than my 56 allez, I am happy that I asked the question on here and got the desired advise early on to go for the medium, there was only 1 reply suggesting otherwise at the point of which I changed my order to medium, then the replies shifted more towards a m/l after I had allready changed my order once, going by sizes suggested on ruthlands site for this model the m was looking like a good fit
I am happy with my purchase, well more than happy so thanks to everyone for their views as different as they may be which is a good thing
So thanks again to everyone who posted
Vinny
Ps will post pic tomorrow of my N+1 :smile:

OP
OP
H

Heigue'r

Veteran
20140809_064256.jpg

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
No Giant store close? They tend to have every model

When I bought my avail in July 2 years ago, it was the last one in the UK, according to the giant
After a demo ride, I was interested in buying a Giant Anthem 1 in a small. My Giant store claimed there was only one left in the country and a rather pushy salesman told me I needed to buy it quick or I'd lose it. This was in June and I walked away. But I managed to buy one from Tredz last week!
Sorry to go off topic, I have a 2013 Defy 1 and I'm 5'6" and ride a small. No surprise there!

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
After a demo ride, I was interested in buying a Giant Anthem 1 in a small. My Giant store claimed there was only one left in the country and a rather pushy salesman told me I needed to buy it quick or I'd lose it. This was in June and I walked away. But I managed to buy one from Tredz last week!
Sorry to go off topic, I have a 2013 Defy 1 and I'm 5'6" and ride a small. No surprise there!

Presumably more stock came in since June?

Top Bottom