Giant TCR carbon seatpost in carbon frame..

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Arjimlad, 31 Jul 2017.

Tags:
  1. Arjimlad

Arjimlad Tights of Cydonia

My 2016 TCR Advanced 3 has a carbon fibre aero seatpost which has a little wedge device holding it in the carbon fibre frame : -
    wedge.jpg .

I can unscrew the bolt fine, but the wedge won't come out, and I haven't been able to lift the seatpost out at all. It's stuck fast.

Looking at the design of the wedge I can't see how I might be able to loosen it. I have only ever done it up to recommended torque settings.

Any thoughts/tips ?

2. sight-pin

sight-pin Über Member

I wonder if you could form a small enough hook to insert in the hole just enough to catch the edge of the top part of the wedge and pull up with a pair pliers of something. Perhaps a cut down right angled wall picture hook etc.

Arjimlad likes this.
  3. smutchin

smutchin Cat 6 Racer

Unscrew the bolt a bit, so it is protruding from the wedge, then tap it lightly with a hammer - that should loosen the bottom segment of the wedge, then it should all come out easily.

4. dan_bo

dan_bo How much does it cost to Oldham?

Mallet mate.

the_mikey and smutchin like this.
  5. CanucksTraveller

CanucksTraveller Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

I had the same issue when i first went to adjust mine, but as Smutchin suggests a few taps on the wedge and / or the seatpost will free it up. I use the plastic handle of a screwdriver. You don't need to be too firm.

6. OP
    OP
    Arjimlad

Thanks all, the lightest of taps and it was free again!

CanucksTraveller likes this.
  7. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

That's a cunning design, inspired by the old steerers. Same small disadvantage though.

8. OP
    OP
    Arjimlad

I thought I might have really messed it up by having a little lithium grease on the seatpost but it came free very easily with a very light tap on the bolt. The design seems OK to me now I have been able to free it !

9. smutchin

smutchin Cat 6 Racer

I hate internal seatpost clamps and I'm not aware of any real advantage to the design other than being able to boost the bike's 'aero' claims - although I can't believe any of us would notice the negligible difference they make to drag.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice