Gin O'Clock - what are our favourites ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

Ya southern poof ;)

Generally, I agree although I had some 'craft' gin for Christmas, I forget its name but it was bloody horrible, tasted of cucumbers.
You may prefer this:
8770MIX2_014-meths.jpg

Notes of fresh tarmac and pickled cat, but be sure to decant it into a paint tin and leave it to breathe in your shed before serving. One to share with friends on your favourite park bench.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I tend to think the tonic makes way more difference than the gin.
It's certainly a very significant factor.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Schweppes or Fevertree for me as preference.

I first tasted Fevertree on one of my trips to Goa. The journey had been somewhat arduous and on arrival at the beach shack I downed a Gin and Fevertree in seconds whilst staring out over the Arabian sea. Thinking "that's not Schweppes but it's really rather nice" I began to appreciate it's finer qualities.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
@Fab Foodie is a whiskey drinker but he likes Gin too. This could be a good one for us to try :whistle:
I had a gin that tasted of whiskey at the Gin Palace a while ago but I can't remember what it was. No idea why I can't remember its name :whistle:

Just before Christmas we were in the Pint Shop in Cambridge, she asked me to get an orange based gin. They filled it to the top and the place was packed, so I had to sip a bit off the top before leaving the bar, it was bloody lovely! I've consciously resisted since!
There's a Gin Lab in Cambridge which I've not yet tried :cheers:

But if you think about a G&T, the gin is heavily diluted, chilled, and often has some citrus added. I have a feeling that people wouldn't reliably distinguish different brands of gin in a blind test.
Not in Spain, it ain't :eek:

keithmac

Guru
Going to try the Ginger Ninja and Sloe-motion gins (to be fair I might have already had the Sloe-motion as we bought a bottle at a local food market in York).

Normally have lemonade instead of tonic for a smoother drink and NO ice!.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
It would be a late trip back to Norfolk and we have to drive but it's a good excuse to visit again.

OP
OP
Flick of the Elbow
I had a gin that tasted of whiskey at the Gin Palace a while ago but I can't remember what it was. No idea why I can't remember its name :whistle:
My wife and I also tried one that tasted of whisky at Logie Steading. My wife didn't like it because it tasted too much of whisky, which she dislikes, I didn't like it because it if I wanted a taste of whisky I'd sooner drink a whisky. The shopkeeper was a bit unconvinced about it too, but he said that some like it. I can't remember the name either.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
My wife and I also tried one that tasted of whisky at Logie Steading. My wife didn't like it because it tasted too much of whisky, which she dislikes, I didn't like it because it if I wanted a taste of whisky I'd sooner drink a whisky. The shopkeeper was a bit unconvinced about it too, but he said that some like it. I can't remember the name either.
I quite liked the one I tried. Maybe a different one. It was quite clearly a gin, but it was like a gin that used whiskey instead of cinnamon and orange and shoot. :thumbsup:

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I'm partial to Mount Greylock gin (a very subtle gin), brewed in Sheffield, Massachusetts and I also enjoy Plymouth gin. Adequate standbys are Gordons, Beefeater and Tanqueray, but given a choice, I'd go for the Greylock gin, Plymouth gin or even Hendricks gin (though I find Hendricks to be just a bit too close to vodka).

And yes, tonic water makes a huge difference -Schweppes, Canada Dry or Fevertree for me, I've not come across anything else close to those three. And yes, I've done blind taste testing and got everything correct.

To me, gins are like tea -many brands out there, but some definitely better than others, and some just awful (New Amsterdam anyone? Like drinking artificial candy, ugh).

OP
OP
Flick of the Elbow
In small tins.

BTW, isn't this gin revival some kind of London Fields hipster beard ponciness?
I don't know, it might be down south.
What strikes me about the responses to this thread is the North - South divide. Up here if I go into a gin shop or start a discussion on gin with friends/colleagues it will be dominated by all the dozens of craft Scottish ones, their English equivalents are almost unheard of. So this thread has been quite an eye opener for me, I hadn't realised there were so many English ones too. I'm also wondering if the Scottish ones are getting much of a profile down south given that almost nobody is mentioning them on this thread, other than the mainstream ones like Gordon's, Hendrick’s, and Tanqueray that is.

Top Bottom