Girlfriend Bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My girlfriend is looking for a first road bike, she wants to get into it properly.

Needs to be a small - 46/48cm frame.

At the minute she quite likes the Pendleton one on the Halfords website for £350 - though nearly bought a Trek (I think Carbon) for around £400 on ebay but lost out to another bidder.

Personally I think she should get an Eddy Merckx junior I saw on ebay, but I doubt that will happen hahah.

Anyone seen anything around that's a good starter road bike but that is worth the price tag?
(At a push maybe £600)

vickster

Legendary Member
Giant avail but that's a drop bar. Which will be way off the mark if she likes the Pendleton look which are Dutch style hybrids rather than a road bike. If course perfectly suitable for pootling along roads

I'd take her to Evans, look at their women's range and get a couple of free test rides :smile:. They don't sell giant unfortunately though

I think you need to clarify what she means by "get into it properly." To most of us roadies that means lycra, drops, cleats, razor-sharp tan lines etc etc (may be a hint of irony there.)
If she is envisaging a gentle 10km to the pub in a nice skirt rather than a nifty 50 with optional breathing then that makes a big difference.
The only way is to show her, or better still get her on, a variety of bikes. In my experience there are some nice barely used bikes around in that size range probably due to a failure to clarify the needs.

Well I don't know how seriously she will take it eventually, that's why it's important to balance a good frame as a starter/beginner bike so it isn't underused but also - her step dad used to do triathalons and racing so that influence may push her that way, towards lycra I mean... though I don't think that will be straight away. I know she has looked at cleats etc, so that's a take it as it comes option really, depending on the bike.
(I'm a long distance but not speedy, always have too much camera gear).

I asked about road bikes for me at a lbs recently and they started at £600 - I know she's been looking at them with her step dad but I can't help thinking an older better standard frame/set up for less is better than modern, more incremental improvements, if you know what I mean? But I guess that's because I'm riding something from the 70's/80's, don't have much experience with modern road bikes.

The Trek on eBay looked like a touring set up, a while since I saw it but all black, don't think it was Dutch style - if I remember correctly.

The Pendleton from Halfords is: http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/pendleton-initial-road-bike to clarify, not one of the classic dutch style bikes usually associated with the brand. £350 and designed as a first road bike, not sure how good the frame would prove if she did replace with cleats etc.

Spesh Dolcy looks good - 2013 model is about £550. Ideally something under £500 would be best, if possible.

And I think a trip to Evans is in order. I believe my closest is about an hour away so it will be a day in the shop. Seen a few on their website that look good like the, especially Pinnacle's -
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/dolomite-one-2014-womens-road-bike-ec054872#features
anyone had any experience with them?

Giant Avail looks good as well though, and just under £500

vickster

Legendary Member
Boardmans good bikes, Halfords hit and miss but sounds like there is experience in the family to check the build over

Join British Cycling for 10% off at Halfords, Ride membership is £32, several other indispensable benefits too (legal cover, 3rd party cover etc)

I think you need to let her choose but I'd avoid the Pendleton, 15kg is a seriously heavy beast for a road bike

The Decathlon tribans are really good vfm, come in small sizes too I think (although possibly with a 650c wheel)

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-5-road-bike-black-id_8239801.html

(just needs some nice coloured tape, tyres and a wsd saddle)

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
all i know is if i started a thread with same words as these , i would be in the dog house for weeks ................

Saluki

World class procrastinator
all i know is if i started a thread with same words as these , i would be in the dog house for weeks ................
I was wondering what the thread was going to be about when I first saw it but clicked in the hope that it was going to be a 'what bike should I get for my girl' sort of thing. I was very pleased that it was, in the circs.

Thank you for all the help by the way, really appreciate it.

Yeah the Boardman looks good, but doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere which is a shame.

I'm just trying to make sure that all the options have been covered - just to make sure she definitely has something that she's happy with rather than something that will put her off (like the Pendleton, Yorkshire isn't the flattest place around).

Those B'Twins look lovely, shame about the sizing which I think may be just slightly too big (checked all of the other models quickly too).

I believe she knows some people in a local club called Barracuda or something similar - she was going to try out members bikes but I don't think got around to it, I imagine if she joins a club it will be there. I may even do the same but I don't know how kindly they'd accept a thirty year old bike with one brake and various rattles. I'll keep that Halfords deal in mind though, might be a good way to get out more.

Hahaha she's seen the thread, doesn't seem bothered, more thankful for help

vickster

Legendary Member
Thank you for all the help by the way, really appreciate it.

Yeah the Boardman looks good, but doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere which is a shame.

I'm just trying to make sure that all the options have been covered - just to make sure she definitely has something that she's happy with rather than something that will put her off (like the Pendleton, Yorkshire isn't the flattest place around).

Those B'Twins look lovely, shame about the sizing which I think may be just slightly too big (checked all of the other models quickly too).

I believe she knows some people in a local club called Barracuda or something similar - she was going to try out members bikes but I don't think got around to it, I imagine if she joins a club it will be there. I may even do the same but I don't know how kindly they'd accept a thirty year old bike with one brake and various rattles. I'll keep that Halfords deal in mind though, might be a good way to get out more.

Hahaha she's seen the thread, doesn't seem bothered, more thankful for help

The BTWIN I linked is available in a 48cm, they do come up on the smaller side. You may need to add a shorter stem, narrower bars but check the frame geometry

According to their size chart, the 48cm is good for someone around 5ft to 5ft3

ROAD BIKES - Sport Range
Height:
(in cm) 142 150 159 167 175 184 192
size 45 48 51 54 57 60 63

Yeah I've seen quite a few 48cm frames - I am trying to convince her that would work out okay. I believe she tried out a few in a bike shop and 46cm was what fitted best, though she will obviously have much greater choice with 48cm frame. I did tell her earlier today to just grow a bit, she refused politely however.

Top Bottom