Girlfriend Bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Also consider a Dolan preffissio.... might be slightly above your price range but an excellent bike (and available in small frame sizes).
Mrs Kes has one fitted out with SRAM Apex. She prefers SRAM gearing as she finds the hood shape and lever reach are more comfortable for her smaller hands.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ditto on the SRAM hoods and I am not of the petite persuasion at 5'10!

Going to Winstanley's tomorrow to see the Specialized, going to ask about a sram set up instead of 2300 if possible.
(Haven't heard very good things about the 2300).

Going to see if anywhere local has any Dolans but yeah I think they would be slightly out of the price range - even the Spesh is just above really, but probably worth stretching to.

Julia9054

Guru
Yeah based on that I think 48 may be a stretch. And I've been there before, enough to put most off cycling.

I think she'd rather stay 700C, but Isla are a good option actually, didn't think of that.

Dolce seems to be coming out on top, quite easily as well. (Time for some arduous ebay searching - anyone got any other recommends for preowned bikes?)

And thank you for all the help guys.

I am 5 ft 3 1/2 and both my bikes are 51 frames. 48 would be too small for me. She needs to sit on some!

Julia9054

Guru
Specialized Ariel - a hybrid otherwise known as Donkey Bike - with a step through frame which is my commuter/shopper/towpaths bike
Jamis Xenith Endura Sport - bought from Evans tho I think they don't sell it any more - for more long distance weekend fun!
I've always fancied a Dolce.

vickster

Legendary Member
Virtually no stock bikes in the uk have SRAM as standard, both mine are builds. It's a big job to change the full groupset, about £400-500 for the parts alone and you won't recoup much selling 2300 which really is pretty obsolete now. Can't believe specialized still use on new bikes!

Dolan will do a SRAM build however, so the prefissio is a good shout. About £800 though for a decent apex spec

They only sell online or through their showroom in Preston which can't be too far from Winstanleys in Wigan?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
What have you heard about 2300 thats bad ?
Apart from the thumb shifters which work fine although you cant reach them on the drops theres nowt wrong with them , the new 2400 has done away with them and has under brake levers like the rest of the shimano sets .

vickster

Legendary Member
Just seems old now and basic, the fact it's been replaced underlines this. Think it's poor of a premium brand like Specialized to continue to put on new bikes, especially on bikes for women with smaller hands when there is a better alternative. Fair enough on a £300 bike but not a £600 bike

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Im guessing new old stock they have to shift ?,
Just seems old now and basic, the fact it's been replaced underlines this. Think it's poor of a premium brand like Specialized to continue to put on new bikes, especially on bikes for women with smaller hands when there is a better alternative. Fair enough on a £300 bike but not a £600 bike
i used 2300s for ages and its fine but i do like the 2400`s better and sram even more but i doubt you would get sram on a £600 bike non sale .

vickster

Legendary Member
No SRAM hard to get ever, boardmans sometimes, can spec on Dolan but otherwise rarely and not for under £800. For £600, sora minimum and preferably tiagra on older model

Just think specialized grossly overpriced however good the warranty

Ahhhh. haven't seen them. That's good to know that the Spesh fits you like that (51cm frame I mean) - I can't imagine the 44 is easy to get hold of, or will be stocked many places.

Yeah with the Sram stuff it's a long shot, but I'd rather check first than not know. Can't see it happening for the budget though... If it was winter I would say that I'd do it but I think it's got to the point of wanting something while the weather is good. LBS' aren't great around here. Yeah I've been researching it and they look like a weird choice for a medium spec bike (correct me if I'm wrong).

and there's a local shop called Winstanley, in Hull - don't know if it's associated with the bigger chain though.

vickster

Legendary Member
Got EBC in Leeds

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/specialized-dolce-14?bct=browse/bicycles/womens-bikes (Claris rather than 2300, carbon fork)
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/giant-avail-3-14?bct=browse/bicycles/womens-bikes (Sora rather than Claris, carbon fork)
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/pro...is-womens-14?bct=browse/bicycles/womens-bikes (Claris carbon fork)

Think you can get quidco with EBC too (also they quite often have 15% off weekends, not sure when next one is)

Cheapest Dolan with SRAM apex is going to be £750-800

http://www.dolan-bikes.com/road/road-bikes/dolan-preffisio-aluminium-road-bike.html

(older reply was left from yesterday, just to make sure that I'd replied to everyone)

My thing with the 2300 was just that it didn't sound like the best for the price/value. Though the Spesh's in the shop were updated to Claris (I think).

A bike has been purchased - went to a few shops today, saw what we could. A Moda, the Giant women's range,the Dolce Equipped, and Bianchi. The Moda was out of price range, at £750 and was uncomfortable, seemed a little cramped compared to others - though she did really like this one. The Giant didn't really excite (The one above entry level), seemed a bit sluggish and just didn't really grab her. Then we saw the HED, sat outside my local at £600 - sort of liked it but they stock Bianchi and it was pretty much love at first sight with the whole brand. Had a look at what they had in (after waiting for the guy to get back from a pick up) and it was just so well balanced - looked at the £650 mens entry and the £750 (£810) women specific. The fit was just perfect (wasn't far off for the HED either) and I think from then she was just set on it. Went with her step dad as well - then to see the Spesh too, same as giant, felt a bit back heavy (might have been because it was just after seeing the Bianchi though).

Then went back for the Bianchi - £820, a little over budget but got a £55 helmet, bottle cage, bottle, and £45 Shimano pedals & cleats, only shoes to get, so I think that it worked out pretty well. After the Bianchi I don't think anything would have sufficed really, so well balanced and a good set up.

Oh and tried a few SRAM shifters, as well as Micrashift on the Moda - she was more comfy on the shimano to be honest. The Sram are a little slimmer, easier to hold (in my opinion) but she's very happy with what she has. Thank you for all the help, it was great.

Top Bottom