Giro 2018 "contains spoilers"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No, the word "convicted" actually has meaning. The left-armer opening the bowling for Pakistan at Lord's today is a convicted criminal and cheat, who spent a couple of years in prison for taking a bribe in a Test match. Unless you can point to a criminal trial for Yates, you are as sloppy with your language as you are with the concept of "cheat".
The term convicted does not just refer to being found guilty in a criminal court.

MikeG

Guru
Was he cheating? Was he attempting to gain advantage by doing something against the rules of the sport?

I note you tacitly accept that he hasn't been convicted of anything.

Was he cheating? Was he attempting to gain advantage by doing something against the rules of the sport?

He got banned. He was convicted in that he was found guilty of an offence in contravention of the rules.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member

Of course he was cheating, he was banned for taking performance enhancing drugs - if you cannot accept that that is cheating then there is little point in continuing this discussion.

I don't mind if you don't like the word convicted, banned is just as devastating

MikeG

Guru
He was suspended (not banned) for taking a drug he had every reason to think he was perfectly entitled to take, which he'd taken legally previously, and which was prescribed for him by a doctor. His team doctor admitted failing to submit the correct form, that's all. This was a clerical oversight on the behalf of someone other than Yates, and was not an attempt by Yates to gain advantage. Yes, one has to take responsibility for one's paperwork, but this was not an attempt to gain advantage or circumvent the rules, and was therefore not cheating.

How about you take your crap to the appropriate thread?

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
He was suspended (not banned) for taking a drug he had every reason to think he was perfectly entitled to take, which he'd taken legally previously, and which was prescribed for him by a doctor. His team doctor admitted failing to submit the correct form, that's all. This was a clerical oversight on the behalf of someone other than Yates, and was not an attempt by Yates to gain advantage. Yes, one has to take responsibility for one's paperwork, but this was not an attempt to gain advantage or circumvent the rules, and was therefore not cheating.

How about you take your crap to the appropriate thread?

Well, that is your opinion, but not the opinion of the authorities, who banned him.

And no need to start being abusive

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
Just been called a miserable tw*t on the BEEB website for suggesting that I thought it highly likely Chris Froome will have to serve a ban at some point!

Bye the bye, what’s the difference in practical terms between a ban and a suspension?

MikeG

Guru
..........no need to start being abusive

No need to come into the wrong thread to chuck emotive and misleading terms around. There is a thread for this stuff. Not this one. Don't pollute a thread about a great race with off-topic bilge, and you won't find people reacting with hostility.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I said nothing misleading, but I will refrain from pointing out the truth if it upsets you so much .. enjoy your self delusion ..
In a statement issued by the sport's governing body, said: "The Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) announces today that Simon Yates has been sanctioned with a period of ineligibility of four months for a non-intentional anti-doping rule violation committed on 12 March 2016 (i.e. Presence and Use of the specified prohibited substance Terbutaline).

I think you're guilty of over-egging it, calling him a drug cheat, as if to equate his non-intentional misdemeanour with the likes of Armstrong, Landis and a host of others.
Froome hasn't been found guilty of anything yet, FYI.

Top Bottom