Giro 2018 "contains spoilers"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Why now in this thread though ? It seems all of a sudden which is a shame because it was a great race.Anyway great ending for me.Got to go to it aswell which was a added bonus.(met froome tuesday morning as he was reconing TT in Rovereto ! )

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
On a slightly different, and tenuously Giro related theme, what happened to Stefan Kr[unspellable]wyk
He retired suffering from a severe vowel deficit.

A lot of you will have seen this on Twitter but this is where Froome took the time, not including stage bonuses. From what I can see, none of his ascent times threatened any of the best times on the main climbs.

upload_2018-5-27_13-46-46.png

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
A lot of you will have seen this on Twitter but this is where Froome took the time, not including stage bonuses. From what I can see, none of his ascent times threatened any of the best times on the main climbs.

View attachment 411267
You could make a good argument from that that Dumoulin lost the Giro on the Finestre descent. I’m not sure he could have dropped off the mountain at the same rate as Froome, but hanging around for Pinot and the rest of group was probably the wrong decision. Hopefully lesson learned and it might lead to a few more Hail Mary chase-downs in coming GTs.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Why are we discussing Yates and Froome? In a thread about a race which Yates led for a long while and which Froome is leading? And both of whom have failed drugs tests.
But do you think it would be about "doping" if it was Yates who won ? Would it have been the same questions asked ? Like I said I enjoyed the race,it was brutal and in the end it was won by Froome like it or not.We all knew Froome was in it right or wrong and my point is none of this negativity started until he showed his colours so to speak.

But do you think it would be about "doping" if it was Yates who won ? Would it have been the same questions asked ? Like I said I enjoyed the race,it was brutal and in the end it was won by Froome like it or not.We all knew Froome was in it right or wrong and my point is none of this negativity started until he showed his colours so to speak.
I suppose it was his choice to race, and there is a degree of inevitability that discussions will focus on doping where the winner of the race has proved positive for a banned substance in amounts well in excess of permitted levels, and in circumstances where his defence appears to be "I was a bit out of breath"

edit - he also seemed to be "a bit out of breath" before the final rest day, and then had a "miracle ride"...

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Daniel Friebe mentioned on last night’s podcast that the Giro result will stand regardless of the outcome of Froome’s salbutamol case. He seemed to think this was definitive but I don’t recall hearing/reading any announcement to that effect.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
there is a degree of inevitability that discussions will focus on doping

Fair enough, but there are sone who never visit the pro racing section of the forum except to make snarky comments about doping, and it’s always the same tired old crap we’ve heard a million times before. I wouldn’t mind if they actually wanted to engage in the discussion but they don’t, they just want to be smart arses.

Fair enough, but there are sone who never visit the pro racing section of the forum except to make snarky comments about doping, and it’s always the same tired old crap we’ve heard a million times before. I wouldn’t mind if they actually wanted to engage in the discussion but they don’t, they just want to be smart arses.
Fair enough, I am glad I'm a regular pro race contributor as well as a smart arse

Top Bottom