Giro del Trentino - SPOILERS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tigger

Über Member
It has spoilt the event as a spectacle somewhat though and left us not knowing what Wiggins could have done

Wigins finished 1.37 down. How long did the mechanical take? Do we think this could act as a useful marker?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Wiggo's electronics have let him down - just threw his bike at a wall!

Back on a spare bike and chasing hard...

Nibali off the front with Tiralongo. This is cracking stuff!
I just managed to catch throwing his bike away while doing other stuff. It looked like the bike wasn't going to take such treatment - it just rolled away and parked itself upright against the wall.

beastie

Guru
It appeared as if Wiggins was having "issues" with the bike right from the start of.the climb. He dropped right back then moved up. Later he slowed right down and then had to kick back up to the lead group. Having said that he lost about 45 seconds with the mechanical and the rest on the road. He didn't appear to be on the rivet all the way up though.

Shame for Wiggo though he showed some pretty impressive form. Niballi looked most likely but all in all it is shaping up to be an epic Giro. I really want Wiggo to win but i think Niballi is just going to be too good this year.

Or maybe Schleck will surprise us all and win the Giro, the Tour and the Vuelta. :whistle:

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I think it showed that Nibali is favourite for the giro, apart from the ITT aspect. We seem to be reducing it to a two-horse race - do you think that's premature or do you fancy an outsider?

thom

____
I think it showed that Nibali is favourite for the giro, apart from the ITT aspect. We seem to be reducing it to a two-horse race - do you think that's premature or do you fancy an outsider?
Premature. Someone else will rock up with good form too - this was a much reduced field of pro-tour teams. Wiggins is obviously closer than this result predicts.
SKY I think deliberately sent a weaker team than what will accompany Wiggins in the Giro, deliberately giving him practice being isolated and to send the signal to other teams they'd have to take the initiative themselves. The Giro won't be like that in reality.

Slight outside bets could be Rodriguez, Hesjedal and maybe the likes of Gesink. Still can't see past the top two of Wiggins and Nibali.
One has to wonder how much stronger team sky would be with Froome pacing Wiggins as he did at the TDF. Seems like there are either issues between the two or Sky is being very ambitious by creating two teams with two leaders. A few comparisons have been drawn to 86 (i think) with The Badger and LeMond, RE the Tour.

Top Bottom