Giro del Trentino - SPOILERS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Premature. Someone else will rock up with good form too - this was a much reduced field of pro-tour teams. Wiggins is obviously closer than this result predicts.
SKY I think deliberately sent a weaker team than what will accompany Wiggins in the Giro, deliberately giving him practice being isolated and to send the signal to other teams they'd have to take the initiative themselves. The Giro won't be like that in reality.

Yeah this. It also seems they've deliberately kept his build up low key and his form a little bit hidden. I can't see him being so isolated so far down a climb after a mechanical in the Giro.

Radchenister

Veteran
Two minded on his form, I am presuming SKY / Wiggo, would have decided to finish solidly but not show any cards as that one was all but lost after the mechanicals, so why not just keep it under wraps for now - but what do I know? Looking forward to finding out.

thom

____
Two minded on his form, I am presuming SKY / Wiggo, would have decided to finish solidly but not show any cards as that one was all but lost after the mechanicals, so why not just keep it under wraps for now - but what do I know? Looking forward to finding out.
Yes - certainly we can say that Nibali and Astana have learned something from SKY and have collectively adopted similar tactics with regards to team formation climbing. That is doffing the hat to SKY and it will be good to see how SKY cope with team that tries to take them on as one.

beastie

Guru
stupid bloody bike:cursing:

Good to see Evans up there too. Do we know which grand tour he's going to do this year?

I believe he is riding the giro, and then le tour. I think he is targeting the tour though. Is dirty Bertie not on the same strategy?
edit Pretty sure Contador is not riding the Giro.

400bhp

Guru
Thought:

Are teams not allowed to put power meters on replacement bikes?

If they are then that is an epic fail.

Thought:

Are teams not allowed to put power meters on replacement bikes?

If they are then that is an epic fail.
Explain: I don't get the point?

His reserve bike had a 39 on, not a 36, so he was overgeared when he hit the 20% sections, which was more or less when he caught everyone.

400bhp

Guru
His replacement bike didn't have a power meter, so instead of using that to determine effort, he had to do it by feel. Hence as well as being at a disadvantage by losing time he was at a disadvantage because of the lack of a power meter.

Seems fail x 2 - I didn't know he had a 39 as a replacement.

His replacement bike didn't have a power meter, so instead of using that to determine effort, he had to do it by feel. Hence as well as being at a disadvantage by losing time he was at a disadvantage because of the lack of a power meter.

Seems fail x 2 - I didn't know he had a 39 as a replacement.

I can't find the link now but Sky did emphasise that they don't ride exclusively with power meters in order that riders can respond on feel. Also, interestingly, they say the TV broadcast equipment interferes with the power meter readout!

400bhp

Guru
Fine, BUT, Brad was riding a bike with a power meter on that day. So, IMO, a replacement bike should be like-for-like.

What am I missing? Is a replacement bike sometimes set up differently just in case things aren't going too well with the rider?

Slaav

Veteran
Fine, BUT, Brad was riding a bike with a power meter on that day. So, IMO, a replacement bike should be like-for-like.

What am I missing? Is a replacement bike sometimes set up differently just in case things aren't going too well with the rider?

Interesting thought.

Now, as team leader/DS, do we allow fro a mechanical ONLY - so identical bike for our riders? Or do we allow for a monumental issue and have a SLIGHLY different gearing in case the rider himself simply says - 'I need more/less'? Presumably the prep and planning has been done so they know what is needed on that specific day; if so, like for like replacements.
VMAS (or whatever it was on page 59) which means 'climbing power' - as in meters gained (alt) per hour? A combo of the two should make allowances surely?

Found the report

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wiggins-gear-problems-cost-him-dear-at-the-giro-del-trentino

Why it wasn't set up the same I don't know as they'd clearly identified what was needed on his primary bike

it was a tough break for wiggins having the mechanical issues, but throwing the bike away, riding straight to the bus at the end and then sneaking off in a car to avoid the press, well maybe it should be Brat Wiggins, not the best way to deal with a problem.

Top Bottom