Giro d'Italia 2015 *spoilers*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Of course, you have to wonder if the commissaries might have turned a blind eye if Porte hadn't already ruffled feathers with his behaviour outside the race so far...

...and given that commissaires have turned blind eyes to quite blatant tows from team cars etc. in the past. There's also the oddity of the vehicle convoy being stopped at about the same time - it's suggested that's why Porte's team car couldn't get to him, leading to Clarke giving him a wheel. I didn't see what happened, but Flecha was commenting on it afterwards and didn't seem to understand why it was done.

I'm not suggesting conspiracy, but it does seem a bit harsh.

Wha is 'non-regulation assistance'? I assume, without wading through the regs, that they lay down precisely who a rider can receive assistance from.

Hont

Guru
so apparently Porte's team car couldn't get to him, leading to Clarke giving him a wheel.

The picture shows a sky rider in shot, so he could have (and should have) given his wheel instead.

20154995_267974_670.jpg

Attachments

• 20154995_267974_670.jpg
    20154995_267974_670.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 21

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Wonder if this had not been a GC contender whether they would be as harsh ??? I think not! If you have to play by the rules then let's make sure that everyone plays by the rules .

Will he stay in or take his toys home.

PpPete

Legendary Member
“It just goes to show you that you can either live by the letter of the law or the spirit of the law,” Brailsford said, talking calmly as he headed for his team car.

“Most people would accept that that was one of the most interesting, instinctive moments of fair play we’ve seen in sport for a long time, particularly in our sport, which has been a bit blighted by issues of unfair play.

“However, there’s a lesson in there, isn’t there? That [if] it’s the letter of the law rather than the spirit of the law then that’s that. ”

So ... Sky attacking next time Bertie stops for a piss?

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
The picture shows a sky rider in shot, so he could have (and should have) given his wheel instead.

Indeed he should. Thanks, missed that, the photo I saw was a few seconds later and didn't show the Sky rider. In fact, that's another oddity - why didn't he, and why did Clarke offer a wheel if a Sky man was there?

Still odd about the convoy being stopped though, even if no cause and effect - has a reason been given?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Indeed he should. Thanks, missed that, the photo I saw was a few seconds later and didn't show the Sky rider. In fact, that's another oddity - why didn't he, and why did Clarke offer a wheel if a Sky man was there?

Still odd about the convoy being stopped though, even if no cause and effect - has a reason been given?
Maybe they thought that it was better if the Sky rider was available to pace Porte back.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
If it matters, it wasn't pure sportsmanship anyway. It was one Australian helping another. I'm not sure why patriotism is somehow purer or better than loyalty to your teammates.

In any case, Sky and its riders should have known the rules, and with at least one teammate there he should have taken a wheel from his teammate - after all, we've seen this happen loads of times - and ridden up with whoever else was around. If he had merely ridden back with Clarke and others, this would not have incurred the penalty.

This is one of the stupidest ways to potentially lose a GT that I've ever seen, and I'm not blaming 'the rules'...

beastie

Guru
Apparently Contador removed his helmet for a few seconds on Stage 7. The penalty for which is DQ. The commisaires won't be enforcing that one for sure.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Not knowing the rules is rife in professional sport. You only have to listen to controversial moments in football, rugby and cricket to realise that pros and ex-pros are often clueless in the nuances of regulation. That, in no way, excuses them.

Top Bottom