Giro d'Italia 2015 *spoilers*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Pro Tour Punditry
Maybe Astana and TinkoSaxoff will get penalised for sharing medicines?

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Maybe they thought that it was better if the Sky rider was available to pace Porte back.

Yes, I wondered that, or whether the Sky rider wasn't there when Clarke first offered the wheel. You'd have thought it'd be more obvious to take a Sky wheel then let Clarke pace you back. These things are often heat of the moment though.

As you say, the worst of it is the disproportionate effect on GC; though if Porte rises to the challenge perhaps it might inject more interest into the race.

Rights and duties of riders
The lending or exchanging of tubular tyres or bicycles and waiting for a rider who has been dropped or involved in an accident shall be permitted only amongst riders of the same team. The pushing of one rider by another shall in all cases be forbidden, on pain of disqualification.

Thanks. That's where the non-regulation assistance comes in then. I was too lazy to look it up.

Reaction from organisers re posting pics seems as if they thought it was "sporting"

Apparently the commissaires were challenged about using Porte's tweet to penalise him and said that pics were all over the internet within a few minutes of the stage finishing and that was what brought it to their attention.

I know, you should try and read the rules governing us electricians at some point.

Are you only allowed to receive fuses from other electricians in your own company?

sleaver

Veteran
From the Giro's Twitter feed. So, "It's the best sport in the world" is it :whistle:

image.jpg

sleaver

Veteran
The rule say, unless I'm wrong:

"Non-regulation assistance TO a rider of another team - stage races"

If the is right, it says TO not FROM. Therefore, why did Porte get the penalty? Unless there is a rule covering "from".

Archie

Errrr.....
Regardless of the penalty, the fact Porte had a mechanical with no teammates around is unforgivable strategy. With a minder he should have been on the road again with a complete bike swop in 10 seconds, and other teammates aware of the situation to pace him back. The two minute penalty is just the tin lid on 45 seconds that shouldn't have been lost.

Marginal gains my arse.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Of course, you have to wonder if the commissaries might have turned a blind eye if Porte hadn't already ruffled feathers with his behaviour outside the race so far...

If it matters, it wasn't pure sportsmanship anyway. It was one Australian helping another. I'm not sure why patriotism is somehow purer or better than loyalty to your teammates.
I think one thing we can be 100% sure of is that if it were two Italians on opposing teams who had done this they wouldn't have been penalised, they would have been lauded across the land...

OP
OP
Pro Tour Punditry
Wasn't sure whether to put this here or the doping git thread, but opted for here.

INRNG are reporting on twitter that L'Equipe have identified that MPCC member team Bardiani-CSF allowed one rider to start the Giro despite a low cortisol level being detected in a pre-race UCI test...

Previous article about cortisol in INRNG
http://inrng.com/2013/06/mpcc-cortisol-test/

edit - will it be Boem? Or just a coincidence re timing?

Slaav

Veteran
Lots of thoughts re Porte.....

Was it ignorance or a calculated gamble? If there was no immediate Sky rider available, then go for it, cross your fingers and hope for the best? Stick out the tweets of 'sportsmanship' etc and try to sway the jury, KNOWING YOU ARE PUSHING YOUR LUCK BUT WITHOUT THE GAMBLE, GC is gone anyway?

Then, one does have to question why Porte was seemingly isolated AGAIN!?

Anybody remember when Froome was called back to stay with Brad just in case???

And although I am a big DB fan, he is now mocking the fact that it is no longer the spirit of the rules but the minutiae and pedantry within the rules that counts apparently? Does anybody remember Porte going back to the team car and illegally grabbing some gels and handing them to Froome? Was that careful and considered reworking of the rules or in the true spirit of the rules?

Sometimes I truly despair!

:sad:

Roscoe

Veteran
I asked this earlier in the race and I'll ask it again. Why does Sky's protected rider not have any teamates around him? He is isolated and the outcome this time could cost him a podium place, let alone an outright win.

Still think it's a bit off giving him a 2 minute penalty. Will be interesting to see if every other infringement is now cracked down on.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Maybe Porte was chatting with the other Aussies and had told his team to go up front and make some pace?

It's all speculation...

Top Bottom