Giro d'Italia **Spoilers**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I suggest that the comments above are a bit harsh. Its not like he was using EPO or anything. He has medical approval for the substance in question. So its a matter of degree. Sounds to me like a minor misjudgement in dosage on the part of his team doctor, he shouldn't be condemned for that.

There is a study that suggests an improvement of 1 minute over a 60 minute time trial using Salbutamol. Worth noting though that the subjects were all non asthmatic. Ullissi claims to have been suffering from Bronchospasm.

@Flick of the Elbow, quantity found was nearly double that of the allowed amount. I'm not so sure it is a minor misjudgment as he claims to have had "2 puffs" equalling about 200ng. That being said the second sample has yet to be checked.

Didn't Chris Froome recently have to admit to having asthma for a TUE issue? Don't think it was the same substance though?

Some chat about it on Bikeradar, i've just noticed.............

It looks well dodgy. A Lampre rider too, who'd a thunk. It took a bit of reading around to realise those levels in his urine would be pretty hard to achieve by simply taking an extra puff on his inhalor.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Whether or not salbutamol is proven as a ped, it's proscribed and Ulissi has broken the rules. By some considerable margin. At best he's been extremely stupid, at worst this is the tip of the iceberg...

I'm not impressed with Sky over this TUE for Froome either. I kind of trust that there's nothing dodgy about it but it doesn't sit at all well with their whiter than white image. If he's ill enough to require glucocorticosteroids, he shouldn't be racing. End of.

Hont

Guru
Didn't Chris Froome recently have to admit to having asthma for a TUE issue? Don't think it was the same substance though?
Froome does apparently have asthma and does take Salbutamol, which does not need a TUE apparently...

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014...him-to-use-inhaler-to-treat-his-asthma_331334

The steroid he took during Romandy obviously does and I'm with smutchin. Regardless of whether the TUE was obtained correctly I don't like to see riders racing if they need a steroid to get better. I know if I was to be on steroids I would not be in work and I just sit at a desk.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
"quantity found was nearly double that of the allowed amount"

So you are making an assumption that he took double the allowed dose ?

He's claiming he only took two puffs of his inhaler. I admit to having no idea of how the biology works but from what I've read it seems there's no way on earth that could account for the extremely high level of salbutamol shown in the test, so either the test is screwy or he's lying.

I know which of those options my money is on.

"quantity found was nearly double that of the allowed amount"

So you are making an assumption that he took double the allowed dose ?
If this is for moi - I am not assuming anything.

Sample A has found 1900ng of Salbutamol. The limit for that specific substance is 1000ng's. That's nearly double and WAY beyond the two uses claimed, each containing 100ng's.

I will make an assumption, though it's just my opinion - the B sample will confirm the findings of the A sample.

Or perhaps i am wrong, perhaps the A sample got contaminated with 1700ng's of Salbutamol and the B test will prove this. Or perhaps someone is out to get the poor rider, as many dopers claim, and has spiked/rigged the results.

We shall find out soon.........

"I admit to having no idea of how the biology works"

Me neither. I have no idea how and at what rate the dose administered works through the system to appear in the urine and the factors that will affect the concentration in the urine. Lets not condemn him until we know the verdict of those that do understand how these things work.

"I admit to having no idea of how the biology works"

Me neither. I have no idea how and at what rate the dose administered works through the system to appear in the urine and the factors that will affect the concentration in the urine. Lets not condemn him until we know the verdict of those that do understand how these things work.
This is just the first study I found on Google, I read quite a few more. He didn't just take a few extra puffs.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21563035

Top Bottom