Giro d'Italia **Spoilers**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
What happened with Bongiorno? I only watched the last 2km

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
What happened with Bongiorno? I only watched the last 2km

Per BBC

Another Italian, Francesco Bongiorno, was challenging Rogers for victory until he was pushed by a spectator.

The Bardiani Valvole rider was on Rogers's wheel with three kilometres to go when a fan pushed him on the back, forcing him to take his left foot off the pedal.

Bongiorno recovered to finished the stage third, ahead of Ireland's Nicolas Roche.

He said: "I'm very bitter. On a climb like that, when you lose your balance, it's impossible."

Well, having been able to watch the last four or five days I'm, suffice to say, very pleased for Quintana - the epitome of cool.

Being a little bit more moved in than what I was when the Giro left Erin's Isle, I'd have to say that what I've seen has been both fantastic as well as that typical Italian something that lies somewhere between disorganisation, passion, absurdity and disorganisation. I'm not sure if anything has come of the tweet that never was, but IMO, biaised as I am, I feel that Quintana was the stronger. If Uran had got any closer with any post-pink strategy of any potency then perhaps this angle would be afforded more credit. Maybe I'm being harsh but I feel that Quintana has justly rode himself into the Giro's history - stage 16 was breathtaking - and whilst the organisers were pig-headed not to accept the proposed time penalty fairly offered by the teams, there's no disputing in my mind who rode the ride of the day. Likewise, and this may also be wrong, aside that prick of a spectator, Bongiorno was also caught by Pellizotti and I'd wager that Rogers would have won either way too. The sight of those Alpine soldiers there to keep the lunatics at bay on that last 500 metres to the summit finish, won't be any consolation to the lad.

Add into the equation the disgraceful expulsion of Kenny Dehaes, the sight of a Canyon bike on the back of a two-man motorcycle ascending up the Zoncolan, and the usual out-of-the-ordinary weather, you have the Giro D'Italia. I wonder whether Vittoria tyres from these days on might just behave a little better in the rain than they ever have before?

And...for any insomniacs among you, just pretend you are Igor Anton's legs.

Last edited:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
It's not "anyone" tho. It's a six foot TTer with a recent doping query against him who left SKY under a shadow due to previous doping.

Exactly. And it's not as if anyone, me included, has raised any supsicions of any winner so far in the Giro.

Last edited:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Bongiorno was also caught by Pellizotti and I'd wager that Rogers would have won either way too.

Ah yes, Pelizotti... Bad enough being beaten by one rider with a cloud of suspicion over him, but to then be caught by another is even more galling.

I love the way the idiot who pushed him started jumping around and smacking himself in the face straight after the incident. If he'd had two brain cells to rub together he might have realised that another push might genuinely have helped Bongiorno at that point.

But yes, Rogers would probably have won anyway.

Well, I don't know what to think any more Smutchin; if riders among the peloton are still doping by known means, they'll be caught. If, however, as has always been the case before, cheating technology is one step ahead then who knows.

Rogers went into that with an 8 minute lead, it was 4 by the end. I haven't seen any times for the climb and it's hard not to be sceptical, especially as he's only just back but maybe that was actually a help, fresh legs, plus all the GC guys would have been tired from the TT, Aru in particular seemed to suffer after a good stage. So in conclusion......no idea.

Top Bottom