Glasgow / Chris Hoy velodrome

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Col5632

Guru
Just booked for next Saturday. Must say you looked very professional above the blue line

Thanks *blushes* felt a bit sorry for the guy who didn't pass acred 1, I think if you have not been clipped in before you would find it even more difficult, I had a wee slip from the red line on the banking, had somebody in front and behind but they moved and I slowed right down and lost the back wheel, was scary and won't be doing it again lol

jim55

Guru
iv gota say i done accred one(a while ago) and everybody done it no bother,no bumps or anything ,however ,some of the group stayed on to do accred 2 (i didnt ,legs were goosed as i was trying hard but still rubbish),in the acred 2 session (i stayed for a while to watch there was crashes aplenty ,in the exercise the lead rider swings up the banking and lets the group pass underneath and rejoins the group at the rear now ,obv he has to do more than a snails pace to stay up there ,some of the riders were going slow so he couldnt come back down as planned ,this resulted in rider sliding down the banking and crashing into the rider/s that were going slower than required and him not being able to rejoin the rear of the group,slide down the banking =pile up ,in fact one of the riders (girl)smacked her head i think and all sorts of staff were running about and covered her with a blanket i think,they called an ambulance and when i left there was guys outside with radios coordinating an ambulance to drive inside (they were opening gates and stuff ),im not sure if the ambulance can drive right inside the building ,but ut looked fairly dramatic ,so i guess it depends on the other people in group ,there is potential there for accidents as there as in any group riding

iv gota say i done accred one(a while ago) and everybody done it no bother,no bumps or anything ,however ,some of the group stayed on to do accred 2 (i didnt ,legs were goosed as i was trying hard but still rubbish),in the acred 2 session (i stayed for a while to watch there was crashes aplenty ,in the exercise the lead rider swings up the banking and lets the group pass underneath and rejoins the group at the rear now ,obv he has to do more than a snails pace to stay up there ,some of the riders were going slow so he couldnt come back down as planned ,this resulted in rider sliding down the banking and crashing into the rider/s that were going slower than required and him not being able to rejoin the rear of the group,slide down the banking =pile up ,in fact one of the riders (girl)smacked her head i think and all sorts of staff were running about and covered her with a blanket i think,they called an ambulance and when i left there was guys outside with radios coordinating an ambulance to drive inside (they were opening gates and stuff ),im not sure if the ambulance can drive right inside the building ,but ut looked fairly dramatic ,so i guess it depends on the other people in group ,there is potential there for accidents as there as in any group riding
Just what I wanted to read before my accred 2 this Saturday :sad:

Rasmus

Without a clever title
I only saw one crash on my way through accreditation, and that was slow speed at the bottom of the banking.

Of course, these sort of small crashes and almost-crashes is what the accreditation process is there for, to teach you what you can and cannot do on the track, and let you build confidence in a controlled manner. The incident you describe jim sounds unfortunately dramatic, but like you say these things can happen anywhere with group riding.

I'll be doing my third endurance session this Saturday, and am very much looking forward to it.

jim55

Guru
yeah defo ,the poiint i was trying to make is it all depends whos around you and unfortunately they are part of the group ,im not talking outright dangerous ,just an overall awareness of whats going on around them ,this applies to all walks of life ,although in the velodrome things tend to happen faster ,
loads have prob done 123and 4 and not been involved in anything hairy at all,so my case prob is not that common

OP
OP
zizou

zizou

Veteran
Good to hear you both enjoyed it.

One thing you may already know is that when things are going faster it becomes easier - not just because you dont need to worry about going too slow around the banking but it also becomes easier to do things like making small adjustments in pace to stay in the correct position in the string and so on. When racing in some respects the neutralised / roll out lap is often the trickiest one because the speed is so slow and the riders are bunching together - in most sports this would be the easiest and calmest part of the event but its the other way around with track cycling :biggrin:

Col5632

Guru
We were taught to be as vocal as possible and my team were really good at that, we didn't always get first to the back as we should have but we were more controlled and vocal than the other team, thinking about doing 2 again just for the extra practice and I enjoyed it so much, just a shame it's an hours car journey for me

OP
OP
zizou

zizou

Veteran
thinking about doing 2 again just for the extra practice and I enjoyed it so much, just a shame it's an hours car journey for me

Seems we have another Track Addict on CC :smile:

There is the velodrome in Meadowbank too which would be a bit closer for you - it is outdoors so it will be a different sort of experience although ive never riden there myself.

Col5632

Guru
Seems we have another Track Addict on CC :smile:

There is the velodrome in Meadowbank too which would be a bit closer for you - it is outdoors so it will be a different sort of experience although ive never riden there myself.

Yeah i've heard of Meadowbank, didnt realise it was outside though.

Once i do the process i can try other places, is it always sarah that takes the 1st and 2nd accred?

Rasmus

Without a clever title
Yeah i've heard of Meadowbank, didnt realise it was outside though.

Once i do the process i can try other places, is it always sarah that takes the 1st and 2nd accred?
I had coach Callum for all my accred sessions, and coach Neil for all my DST sessions...

I've seen one other coach (Stewart? something like that) doing accred 2.

Col5632

Guru
I had coach Callum for all my accred sessions, and coach Neil for all my DST sessions...

I've seen one other coach (Stewart? something like that) doing accred 2.

I got Sarah for both Session 1 and 2, callum was doing session 3 when i was leaving, maybe Sarah is the weekend accred 1 and 2

OP
OP
zizou

zizou

Veteran
I had a different one for each session. If you get Kevin Stewart be sure to try extra hard because if you show a bit of promise you might get talent spotted :biggrin: This actually happened with a woman (whose name escapes me now) on one of the accreditations a few months ago and she is now aiming to make the commonwealth games!

Top Bottom