Gloves for bike mechanics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Hi there, my LBS mechanic uses some thin latex like gloves to do the oily jobs.

Any suggestions out there as to what to get, sick of going to work with black fingers.

thanks

keithmac

Guru
Black Nitrile examination gloves off ebay, £5 for a hundred.

Latex ones can cause a reaction/ irritation..

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
My finger nails cut latex ones very quickly, so I'm currently using nitrile ones. Park Tool are pricey but good and tough. Stanley are available in much smaller quantities and seem almost as good - £1 for 4 pairs at Toolstation, labelled as decorator's gloves IIRC.

Edit: yes, and blue not black so I can see oil before I touch things.

keithmac

Guru
If you get into the habit of wiping your hands with a cleanish cloth between jobs you shouldn't get oil everywhere.

I normally get a day out of a pair working on motorcycles. Found the black gloves more hard wearing than the green for some reason.

gbb

Legendary Member
I always got irritation from wearing latex gloves, never was sure if it was the latex or the powder inside.
Nitrile now and always. If you wear them too long (I often do, I'm a maintenance engineer) they still can intimate a little, more sweat rash I suspect) but nowhere near as bad.

Kajjal

Guru
Most DIY stores have packs of cheap gloves. I use them all the time for working on the bike. Saves washing hands afterwards and means if you need to do something like changing disc brake pads etc. your hand will be clean if you take the gloves off.

Top Bottom