Gloves for bike mechanics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Swarfega works pretty good for me.
Got to agree. Very often don't wear gloves - tend to tear and get in the way and interfere with my oh so delicate refined expert twiddling/fine tuning of my old Ridgebacks - I have some cheap poundshop aqueous cream - rub it in my hands - helps getting the muck off with soap or swarfega later - clean hands in secondary bathroom using old towel. If things really bad (not often) can always have a shower and wash hair - by end of that all will be well.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If you get into the habit of wiping your hands with a cleanish cloth between jobs you shouldn't get oil everywhere.
And then instead of getting through cheap disposable gloves, you need a steady stream of more expensive cloths... depends how many rags you get and how much you work on bikes, I guess.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Keep the bike and in particular the chain, clean. That way the dirty jobs are less dirty, so if you have to wear gloves, (have a box of B&Q gloves myself for bikes and cars), you don't go through as many and if none are around, your hands wash much more easily.

keithmac

Guru
And then instead of getting through cheap disposable gloves, you need a steady stream of more expensive cloths... depends how many rags you get and how much you work on bikes, I guess.

Hotels chuck old bedding out all the time, makes for an excellent supply of rags..

Hotels chuck old bedding out all the time, makes for an excellent supply of rags..
:smile:
how on earth do you secure access to this treasure trove?

RichardB

Slightly retro
[QUOTE 4532258, member: 9609"]If you don't have something like swarfega, washing powder (daz) used with a scrubbing brush is just as good, with some oils like smelly hypoids it may even be better at getting rid of the smell.[/QUOTE]
I have never found Swarfega very good. Halfords sell a product called Manista (made by Comma) which is excellent - works well and your hands smell lemony afterwards. If you run out (as I did recently), try ordinary handwash and get someone to sprinkle a teaspoon of sugar on your soapy hands. The sugar acts like the polychips in the hand cleaner and works remarkably well. It's probably better for the environment than plastic chips as well.

I try to use nitrile gloves, I really do, but for most jobs I don't bother as I prefer to feel what I am doing and don't mind cleaning up afterwards. But for mucky stuff like scraping black gunk off jockey wheels, definitely gloves.

Top Bottom