Glow in the dark bicycle path

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
It'
With all that light pollution - and in the OP's pic as well, it's a wonder it's thought necessary! Call me old fashioned but what's wrong with just some decent lights, a bit of proper dark and chance to enjoy what few stars that are still visible with all that $hite going on?!
Ah, but the moon and the stars (we don't have them here btw, just a perennial dark rain cloud) won't show you the potholes :smile:

Cafe is for off-topic postings, so I put mine in a cycling subforum.

Reactions: mjr

Glow worm

Legendary Member
It'

Ah, but the moon and the stars (we don't have them here btw, just a perennial dark rain cloud) won't show you the potholes :smile:

You'd be surprised at some of the cart tracks and bridleways I've ridden along using moonlight alone on some of my rural rides hereabouts. Once you get your eye in, it's pretty easy, and terrific fun! It's the light pollution that spoils it.

Much as we laud NL and Belgium on their cycle facilities, (and they are great especially in NL), both countries are obsessed with artificial lighting. Just look at any night time satellite pic of both countries- it's dazzling. Belgium insist on lightning up even the quietest of rural lanes to an extent that frankly would do my head in. And buy an airgun.

I once had a row with David Hembrow (for it is He) about all the ridiculous over use of lighting on NL cycle paths and the creeping suburbanisation that it brings but he couldn't see a problem. Always easy to spot a townie I suppose!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Dunno @Glow worm, I am a townie, I don't cycle on unlit paths after dark as I could easily fall in the canal or in the river Clyde - let there be light imo ^_^

Goggs

Guru
The Netherlands has more than three times the population of Scotland and half the area. Belgium has even less land-mass than the Netherlands and twice the population of Scotland. Of course there's a lot of lighting.

U

User169

You'd be surprised at some of the cart tracks and bridleways I've ridden along using moonlight alone on some of my rural rides hereabouts. Once you get your eye in, it's pretty easy, and terrific fun! It's the light pollution that spoils it.

Much as we laud NL and Belgium on their cycle facilities, (and they are great especially in NL), both countries are obsessed with artificial lighting. Just look at any night time satellite pic of both countries- it's dazzling. Belgium insist on lightning up even the quietest of rural lanes to an extent that frankly would do my head in. And buy an airgun.

I once had a row with David Hembrow (for it is He) about all the ridiculous over use of lighting on NL cycle paths and the creeping suburbanisation that it brings but he couldn't see a problem. Always easy to spot a townie I suppose!

I completely agree with this. Absolutely everywhere is lit up, often for seemingly no good reason.

Top Bottom