God but the '70s were beige

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
It wasn't all beige. There was good design around if you wanted it. Habitat was in its infancy, and a lot of Conran's stuff was very innovative. The first TV we bought after setting up home was an Indesit T12 - classic.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQq2ctUJbBOOpJD4y5ViNZNOPOXSu213_O1NC7Fd0DiyukXr6PR.jpg

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Yes Minister was first broadcast in 1980.
'79, I believe. I checked the credits. Anyway, you can't deny that pic is the '70s incarnate.

My Allegro was beige, with a dark brown Starskey and Hutch style stripe. Women really did believe I was driving a Gran Torino.
My Chevette was brown & gold, I liked to think it was the 2300HRS (not the 1256)
xklcvnsa.jpg

You rich barstool, next you'll tell us you had a trim phone
No!, never had one of those, just had the wall mounted 'dial' phones, in the kitchen for many years

U

User482

That's how style works though, it bleeds through into subsequent decades. It's why set designers and stylists on film sets mislead us when they show, for example, domestic interiors in the 1950s as stuffed full of geometric atom prints and furniture with spindly legs, when the real ones were full of stuff from the thirties and forties, with perhaps one or two modern pieces. Beige lasted beyond the 70s, which were full of sixties psychedelia.
I always thought of the 80s as the beige decade, with the 70s rather more lurid. Certainly, that was the case with my parents' kitchen!

D

Deleted member 26715

And the 'modern' buildings stuck into the middle of high streets that, until then, had character.
Missed this reply, I was forced to go down to Larrdun earlier in the year, we were in a building around the back if St Paul's several floors up level with the upper levels of St Paul's just before the roof started to rise, it is/was a great sight, turning 90 degrees I was presented with an obnoxious 60/70's government building.

U

User482

'79, I believe. I checked the credits. Anyway, you can't deny that pic is the '70s incarnate.
25 February 1980, apparently. I expect that the early episodes were filmed in late 79.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5070036, member: 43827"]Bright yellow/chocolate living room[/QUOTE]
I'm surprised no-one called social services.

robjh

Legendary Member
Just look at Coventry! :whistle:

(Mind you, the Luftwaffe did have a small part to play in that, having flattened most of the fine old city centre. Sorry for mentioning the war!)
The postwar reconstruction of central Coventry was done according to plans originally drawn up by the city council in the 1930s, that would probably otherwise never have seen the light of day. The Luftwaffe were just the enablers.

Anyway, it wasn't all bad. What's not to like about
20130313 Coventry - Man's Struggle (1).JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The postwar reconstruction of central Coventry was done according to plans originally drawn up by the city council in the 1930s, that would probably otherwise never have seen the light of day. The Luftwaffe were just the enablers.
And now look at it - up for the UK's City of Culture, along with Stoke-on-Trent, Swansea and Sunderland.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Even the cars
Sand Glow was the colour, of many Austin-Morris vehicles
A neighbour, when I was a kid, had a Marina saloon in that colour, & his father-in-law had a Marina estate in the same colour
Spotted for sale, in Pontefract, September 2014
View attachment 386246

Until Land Rover used that colour for Camel Trophy vehicles, & made it cool again
Langley Farm 4x4 Show 2007
View attachment 386248

My dad. many years ago, had a Cavalier, in a far more vibrant colour
I learned to drive in that, aged 17 (late 1982)
View attachment 386249
We did not have a car till early 80s a brown maxi , until then it was the bus or walk, i remember fondly walking with my dad about 4 miles to buy a new tyre for my bike .
austin-maxi-1750-01.jpg

Top Bottom