God but the '70s were beige

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Blimey you two! Get a room.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Mr Celinepost: 5070479 said:
But my second car was top of the range, a 1975 2000E

View attachment 386315
Arizona Gold, brown vinyl roof, sand interior. Definately not a hint of beige
Are you sure?
9A665D12-3583-4362-BC6C-83C46A47DE4E.jpeg
Looks rather beige to me.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I was working in floor covering sales in London in the seventies and knew this guy who was employed by one the major architectural practices to advise them on flooring. He would give long talks about how beige was the perfect colour for carpets, hiding soiling, blending with other colours etc. He was the most boring person I ever met.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Believe it or not, when I was a very young chap in the '60s, I had knitted swimming trunks.

I believe it!

The past always looks better through the old rose tinted specs, but return to the 60's, 70's (except for the prospect of being young again), no thank you, I LIKE all of the creature comforts, gadgets and better standard of living of this era, if only I could wind the age clock back!.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
[QUOTE 5070951, member: 10119"]Objectifying, much?

Incidentally, I'm _fairly_ sure that is crocheted rather than knitted. Not an expert though.[/QUOTE]

Could be right, best to have another look, just to check ;)

PS Apologies to anyone offended by the official 1979 Austin Allegro Equipe publicity shot I linked to earlier.

The one (now removed) with the woman draped over the bonnet? I wouldn't say I was offended. I might go as far as mildy irritated, I s'pose.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I like to pride myself in that I was ahead of my time in the 70's, even as a kid disliking traditional 70's colours (though it could be also argued I had no taste back in the 70's and I've carried it over each decade since...)

Anyway, growing up in Sheffield in the 70's wasn't exactly uplifting, and things were made worse by the replacement of Sheffield Corporation double decker bus livery in a nice navy blue and cream to... well, a sort of pale vomit orange -and I loathed it then. I found this photo online, but interestingly it doesn't do the awful colour scheme justice but instead comes out even worse as a sort of darkish rusty beige, ugh.

sheffieldcitybus.jpg

I also have an incredibly vivid memory of standing on Dykes Hall Lane, Wadsley and looking down the road and being so disappointed with the plethora of 1970's colour schemes on cars. There used to be someone who owned a sickly anaemic blue Opel Kadett who parked it on the left.

dykeshallroad.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom