golf better than cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

perplexed

Guru
Golf. That game you play before you die.

Bloody hell, that's a revelation to me!

I thought you had to be actually dead to play it.

compo

Veteran
My favourite sport is sea fishing, it even comes before cycling.

When it comes to freshwater fishing, now that is boredom

toby123

Some say that cycling is boring. Cricket is popular and gets huge coverage:scratch: .

Some say that they find it hard to understand the rules. Cricket.:scratch:

U

User169

Phil Ligget mentioned last Sunday that people tune into the TdF not just for the cycling, but for the "beautiful countryside, the views of the chateaus, the eccentric roadside spectators" etc. I know a few who watch it mainly just for those things. What is there to watch or look at on a golf course, apart from the course itself, and the sky as the ball flys through the air? I can't see anyone watching golf unless they play the game themselves.

Was he talking about Duffield?

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I find golf incredibly hard to pay attention to, but at least its relatively simple to understand, get the lowest score, take the least amount of shots, job done.

I think one of the biggest issues with cycling is that its slow to get into because compared to most popular sports its much harder to understand what the actual aim of the sport is, the different Jerseys and how you would get each or what the point is, Tour winner vs TT vs Points vs winning Team vs KOM etc, with the various leaderboards for each.

If you compare to F1 which im a fan of, although im aware a lot also find it boring, the viewing figures have been on the up over the past few years with prime time BBC1 coverage. Particularly at the start of the season, the commentators do their best to explain everything as it crops up in the most simplest of terms, to the point of being annoying to the die hard fans, purely with new viewers in mind. When ive put TdF on tv the commentators have been chatting about things unrelated to the race itself, from their meal last night to discussing architecture and im left clueless to how this mass of cyclists riding through pretty scenery relates at all to whos going to win anything. I tend to leave it on the TV in the background, wait for the distance to run out and watch the final sprint.

toby123

Let's not go down the "my sport is better than your sport" rubbish, it just makes us look silly.

Every sport is the most fascinating thing in the world to those who love and understand it, a boring waste of time to those who don't. Vive la Difference.

Actually a very good point.

Golf is shyte. So is tennis, and I'm not that enamoured with rugby (Union or League) come to that. Talking of which one of my colleagues, who has now retired, used to love his rugby, or 'wugby' as he pronounced it.Repeatedly he would try to engage me in conversations about the six nations. My response was always the same, " Don't worry, it's a minority sport played in very few countries around the world." That kind of used to rile him a bit and I'd then be subjected to his defence which was how much better a game it was than football. or more specifically how much better the people who played 'wugby' were than those that played football. in the opinion of someone I studied with around 30 odd years ago 'wugby' is for those to clumsy or too fat to play football.

Basil.B

Guru
Golf is ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I suppose that golf, bowls, curling and snooker do at least have commentators that remain calm and coherent, unlike the verbally incontinent hysterics who get paid to tell us about people running around in a circle or kicking a ball.

Grump:whistle:

BJH

Über Member
It's the game of the chattering classes so is plugged massively on tv. Cycling is on a roll - no pun intended - and I am betting it will grow now.
We should all be making. Appointed e mailing ITV to tell them what a great idea to give us the last 2 days of the Tour on ITV1 and full HD

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
It's the game of the chattering classes so is plugged massively on tv. Cycling is on a roll - no pun intended - and I am betting it will grow now.
We should all be making. Appointed e mailing ITV to tell them what a great idea to give us the last 2 days of the Tour on ITV1 and full HD

ITV4 has a HD version, it's just it is a sky exclusive at present.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I know they aren't, but it's not as difficult as the past.

Wimbledon gets BBC1 (and BBC2 after 6pm). BBC3 for late matches. Red button.

TdF gets BBC2 or BBC3 if you want to be mean (3 sometimes has extended hours like now but rarely) and/or for highlights. Meerkat stuff :whistle: . Tennis can go on BBC 2 when the tour and/or highlights shows aren't.
they are seriously not going to do it. MY. The BBC believes that Wimbledon is sanctified by God and nothing, least of all cycling, which they regard with contempt, must tread on its toes

Top Bottom