Good hiding places for bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
As I tend to work long days I try not to leave my bike in racks because I think there is the risk of "last one left" theft.

Luckily there is a rooftop garden near my desk with a space behind the hedge where you can chain the bike to the fence which is conveniently only used by me (and a colleague as I told him about it).

When I have to go to the main hospital I tend to lock it to the bannister in one of the emergency staircases beyond the final floor, which is only used for roof access.

On occasion when I've forgotten my chain I've put it into one of the toilets and locked the door from the outside which has been effective as well.

Through this I've never had the bike nicked, but plenty of colleagues with less nice bikes and similar locks who've had the bike go walkabouts.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Other than the toilet trick, doesn't that pretty much guarantee your bike is the last one left in that location, plus there's no one passing by? So, thieves can work undisturbed for as long as needed, although they may be boxed in if you return.

When I have to go to the main hospital I tend to lock it to the bannister in one of the emergency staircases beyond the final floor, which is only used for roof access.

On occasion when I've forgotten my chain I've put it into one of the toilets and locked the door from the outside which has been effective as well
I take mine into the male changing rooms. & leave it there
It's controlled access to it, via the department & swipe-cards

Some of the Consultants, who ride in, take theirs up to their Offices

Through this I've never had the bike nicked, but plenty of colleagues with less nice bikes and similar locks who've had the bike go walkabouts.
As did one lad, who bought a new Planet X, & it disappeared on its very first trip there:cursing::cursing:

rivers

How far can I go?
I either lock mine in the dimmer room or LX workshop at work. Myself and my coworkers (all 3 of us) are the only ones with keys, so I'm not worried. Plus work is a pretty remote uni...

Slick

Guru
I cycle passed Rolls Royce who have quite a good outdoor bike shelter for locking up bikes, although I would never use anything like it. I have still managed to hold on to a room key giving me sole access to a heated room my bike can rest in before heading home. They have been threatening to take it off me for some time, so I have scouted out a few secondary positions should the worst ever happen.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I put mine in the warehouse at work, there's a sort of large metal room which contains an archive of old reports, technical papers, conference proceedings and general junk. No-one ever goes in there.

Alan O

Über Member
You could always hide it in the forest (assuming you have a forest near the office)...

old-bicycle-bike-covered-with-moss-in-the-flower-park-mozirski-gaj-AF0CTD.jpg

U

User33236

I keep my bike in my office at work. Two colleagues have had bike stolen from bike stands in the hospital grounds.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I lock up my bike at the bike stands around the back of the building but I feel confident to do so because anyone coming into the grounds who isn't meant to is very quickly picked up by security.

OP
OP
KnackeredBike

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Other than the toilet trick, doesn't that pretty much guarantee your bike is the last one left in that location, plus there's no one passing by? So, thieves can work undisturbed for as long as needed, although they may be boxed in if you return.
It is one of those places that is so obscure I think it would be a tenacious opportunist thief who found it, after all why not go to the obvious places first, that don't involve a five minute walk through a hospital with your ill gotten gains?

If not... long walk home!

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
Quite a few cyclists at my place we lock them up in brightly lit bike sheds nobody to my knowledge has had a bike pinched yet. Security 24hrs a day, camera's and secure entry in and out of the site. I'm lucky to be fair where I work now the old place I had to take it down to the workshop with me bikes had a habit of disappearing or being modified by other workers lol!

Top Bottom