(Good) Interaction with skip lorry company.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrynCP

Über Member
Isn't there a difference about asking 1) What are the rules? Or implying through tone or manner that you're in the wrong for not using it and 2) Asking why you have specifically chosen not to use it?

Unless the driver quizzes other road users as to their behaviour I'd suggest that implicit in the question is a rebuke.

classic33

Leg End Member
The skip handling Yorkie muncher could then have leapt from his cab and battered the soft cyclist. No point risking a confrontation by being gobby when you don't known what you're up against.

Out OP handled it well, without placing himself at risk.
No mention made of the driver being a Yorkie Muncher.

Arch

Married to Night Train
No assumption, the driver is by his own admission too lazy to bother actually reading what other road users are allowed to do.

The driver didn't, as far as I can see, suggest what a cyclist was allowed to do or not do. He just asked why a cyclist wouldn't use a cycle path.

The Highway Code would be no help on the matter, as I don't think it says "Cyclepaths are often covered in glass and run out in the middle of nowhere". It simply says a cyclist doesn't have to use them.

A non-cycling lorry driver not knowing what the problem is with bad cycle lanes is a bit like a non-lorry driving cyclist not knowing why a lorry might be moving out to the right to turn left. Yes, ideally, everyone would understand everything, but it ain't an ideal world.

I think someone shouted to me the other day something about cycle lanes, when I was using the road to get round a roundabout*. Only that person was a bloke on a bike!

*using the cycle lane round the outside means losing priority, and waiting ages to cross one of the entry lanes.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Glenn. Take the hint that everyone is giving you and shut up. You are behaving like a dickhxxd.

It sounds like a perfectly civil conversation and a good follow up by the transport manager.

BrynCP

Über Member
I think someone shouted to me the other day something about cycle lanes, when I was using the road to get round a roundabout*. Only that person was a bloke on a bike!.
I got the same thing in Beverley here, a new roundabout has partly opened (one direction only) and has a shared use path around it. A cyclist was using the path coming in my direction and I was using the road, and he started shouting at me for not using the cycle lane, he was getting quite angry about it too based on his facial expressions.

I ignored him as I am not confrontational, but not only was it odd him being a cyclist, but if I was using the path we'd have had a problem as it's not wide enough for us both as the whole road and path is still being developed and parts of it temporary.

Bromham-BMX.jpg

Bromham Village received £10,000 for their
BMX bike track.

http://www.hills-group.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Press-release-Hills-LCF-2013-14.pdf

classic33

Leg End Member

I got the same thing in Beverley here, a new roundabout has partly opened (one direction only) and has a shared use path around it. A cyclist was using the path coming in my direction and I was using the road, and he started shouting at me for not using the cycle lane, he was getting quite angry about it too based on his facial expressions.

I ignored him as I am not confrontational, but not only was it odd him being a cyclist, but if I was using the path we'd have had a problem as it's not wide enough for us both as the whole road and path is still being developed and parts of it temporary.
Could be "fun" when completed and going in both directions!!

Brandane

Legendary Member

You should have said "That's a good question, here's one for you: Why didn't you pay attention at school so you don't end up so frustrated at your life that you shout at people going about their lawful business?"
Wow! Was he shouting? Or are you just having a dig at all lorry drivers? After all, they are thick as mince and only driving because they can't do anything else, right?

Well get this, you stereotyping person, you. I drive a lorry, and I enjoy it. Just spent the day yesterday in a nice Mercedes articulated truck going from Glasgow to Aberdeen and back. Nice scenery (drove by Gleneagles, and if you've been watching the Ryder cup you might get the picture), radio blasting, no hassle. Compare that to some of the other jobs I have done in the past (Merchant navy officer, Police Officer for 19 years, salesman, driving instructor.....) and, well - there is no comparison.

PS... I did OK at school. 8 x O levels (2 grade A, 4 grade B, 2 grade C) plus SCE Higher English. Not bad considering I left school aged 16 and 2 weeks.

PPS....I drive a lorry because I was pensioned out of the Police on health grounds. I could have sat around the house but it's not my style. Don't assume that just because you are in a well paid "proper" job today, that it will be the same tomorrow. Thank you.

Last edited:
Wow! Was he shouting? Or are you just having a dig at all lorry drivers? After all, they are thick as mince and only driving because they can't do anything else, right?

Well get this, you stereotyping person, you. I drive a lorry, and I enjoy it. Just spent the day yesterday in a nice Mercedes articulated truck going from Glasgow to Aberdeen and back. Nice scenery (drove by Gleneagles, and if you've been watching the Ryder cup you might get the picture), radio blasting, no hassle. Compare that to some of the other jobs I have done in the past (Merchant navy officer, Police Officer for 19 years, salesman, driving instructor.....) and, well - there is no comparison.

PS... I did OK at school. 8 x O levels (2 grade A, 4 grade B, 2 grade C) plus SCE Higher English. Not bad considering I left school aged 16 and 2 weeks.

PPS....I drive a lorry because I was pensioned out of the Police on health grounds. I could have sat around the house but it's not my style. Don't assume that just because you are in a well paid "proper" job today, that it will be the same tomorrow. Thank you.

There's no stereotypes you sensitive flower. Skip and construction lorries have a wildly disproportionate fatality rate, the drivers represent the bottom end of the industry, often paid per load so have a built-in incentive to cut corners. These are the vehicles that are the greatest danger to vulnerable road users, that's a fact, not prejudice. The industry is rife with corruption and a complete disregard for safety. When The Met randomly stopped these vehicles in London they found that a third of them were breaking the law in some way and seventeen were deemed so dangerous they were immediately taken off the road. It's not even certain who employs these shady criminals, it was never discovered who actually employed Lopez, who killed a cyclist and a pensioner before eventually taken off the road. Whining and snivelling about lawless lorry drivers being a stereotype is missing the point, it's a stereotype because it's true.

Top Bottom