(Good) Interaction with skip lorry company.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The problem is enforcement. I’ve been with the Met on roadside checks: officers say they rarely stop lorries such as those driving for supermarkets since they are properly equipped and the drivers well trained. The ones they mostly look for — “copper’s nose,” growled an officer — are those all cyclists know mean trouble: skip and scaffolding lorries and scruffy construction trucks.

http://www.standard.co.uk/comment/c...clists-from-londons-lorry-menace-8801917.html

BrynCP

Über Member
Could be "fun" when completed and going in both directions!!
:laugh: What I meant is South to North you go around the roundabout, with half the roundabout being closed. North to South you take the old road. Well actually you did until sometime this week as it now appears to be open entirely.

Brandane

Legendary Member
The problem is enforcement. I’ve been with the Met on roadside checks: officers say they rarely stop lorries such as those driving for supermarkets since they are properly equipped and the drivers well trained. The ones they mostly look for — “copper’s nose,” growled an officer — are those all cyclists know mean trouble: skip and scaffolding lorries and scruffy construction trucks.

http://www.standard.co.uk/comment/c...clists-from-londons-lorry-menace-8801917.html
This is very much a contradiction of the last sentence of your previous post. At least you are recognising that some lorry drivers are well trained and properly equipped.

Drago

Legendary Member
My Bruv drives a truck. Earns more than I do, and has the luxury of laws that protect him from working too long in one hit, so I Shan't knock it.

This is very much a contradiction of the last sentence of your previous post. At least you are recognising that some lorry drivers are well trained and properly equipped.

The threads about skip lorry drivers, who have an appalling record of lawless behaviour. No contradiction, you chose to get personally offended because you hadn't read my posts properly.

robrich

You should have said "That's a good question, here's one for you: Why didn't you pay attention at school so you don't end up so frustrated at your life that you shout at people going about their lawful business?"

Sigh... stupid post of the year candidate.

broadway

Veteran
My wife asked why a cyclist was cycling outside of a narrow cycle lane one day. I could have said "That's a good question, here's one for you: Why didn't you pay attention at school so you don't end up so frustrated at your life that you shout at people going about their lawful business?"

Brandane

Legendary Member
The threads about skip lorry drivers, who have an appalling record of lawless behaviour. No contradiction, you chose to get personally offended because you hadn't read my posts properly.
Personally offended? A sensitive flower? Whining and sniveling? Anything else while you're at it? :laugh: :rolleyes:
Sorry to disappoint, but I've got much thicker skin than you give me credit for. I was merely sticking up for a whole industry which you were trying to discredit. The OP was about a positive experience with a driver; you were the one who tried to turn that on its head by inventing the uneducated frustrated driver shouting at people.

Learnincurve

If we are going with N=1

I ride on the same (uphill) road as very heavy good vehicles every day. They are very loud and very slow, they are also absolutely horrible to drive up hills, It's all 10mph and clunking gear change after gear change after gear change. I try to pull over and let them past as soon as I can but I need to time it so I can get on the pavement or filter in behind them because I guarantee you that every single car driver will have a brain fart and not want me ahead of them because I might hold them up, which is imposable because I'm now just as trapped behind the lorry as they are now.

I have never had a cross word from one of these HGV drivers, the problem is when they go one way and I go downhill another and all those cars trapped behind them decide they must overtake me NOW even if it means being 3 inches from my elbow. It's bloody terrifying and completely unnecessary because the road widens about 10 yards up the road, and even when it does widen you get those that want to make a point by close overtaking because as they can't punish the HGV for holding them up they will be damned if that cyclist costs them a extra tenth of a second.

classic33

Leg End Member
Ah! Thank you for that; I'm glad there's no unintended innuendo in the term "Yorkie Muncher".
I felt I had to ask, as a friend with a noted penchant for Indian cuisine objects most strenuously to being referred to as a pilau biter.
Can't believe you've never seen that advert, or any of the others that followed.

young Ed

Veteran
to throw something good in the pot heres one i had about a month or so ago

on my morning commute one day i was waiting to pull out onto the main road at a T junction and a lorry driver on the main road stopped for me to pull out and waited a good 10 seconds or so for me to pull out when the far side lane was also clear, under the highway code he has priority and by no means had to do that but it put a smile on my face as i waved and shouted cheers, thank you and lorry lad! :tongue:
Cheers Ed

Top Bottom