1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good quality (i.e. round!) track chainrings.

Discussion in 'Fixed Gear and Single Speed' started by GrahamG, 17 Apr 2008.

1. GrahamG

GrahamG Über Member

Hi all, my cheapy crappy drivetrain (£12 TA road ring and cheapy £4 rear sprocket) is causing grief in the old chain tension department, I need to replace the chain anyway as it's stretched beyond a reasonable amount now so thought I'd treat the bike to a nice round track chainring and sprocket so that I can get chain tension just perfect all the way around.

Whilst I'm at it - is it worth getting anything more fancy/robust than a SRAM pc-1 chain too? I presume I should indulge a new drivetrain with something fitting but not if it's only for pointless bling factor!

Hmmm, I might go the whole hog and respray the frame too as it's getting a tad rusty and after a year of riding it am happy that it's a keeper.

2. Jakob

Jakob New Member

Sugino, Shimano (D-A) and Campagnolo chainrings are all very round.

3. one-eyed_jim

one-eyed_jim New Member

Are you sure it's the chainring that's at fault? I've never had any problems with TA rings, track or road. I don't have any objective way of comparing, but I doubt other brands are measurably rounder.

Is it possible your problem lies elsewhere? Bent spindle? Crank broached off-centre?

4. OP
    OP
    GrahamG

GrahamG Über Member

I think so, combined with the cheap rear sprocket - it was definitely better on my old pompino with dedicated track rings on both ends.

5. Jakob

Jakob New Member

Nope, there's definitely a roundness difference. I had issues on my old bike with a TA ring, changed to a Sugino and problem was gone.

6. skwerl

skwerl New Member

7. OP
    OP
    GrahamG

GrahamG Über Member

Skwerl - interesting site! I'm too tight for that though!

8. OP
    OP
    GrahamG

GrahamG Über Member

Got a stronglight track chainring (44T), an on one chromo sprocket and KMC track chain - I'll let you know how I get on when it's all fitted!

9. piedwagtail91

piedwagtail91 Über Member

http://www.hubjub.co.uk/ is good for all things fixed.I'm using eai sprockets which aren't cheap but do wear well.
    I'm using miche on the front and don't have any of the chain tension problems i had using cheap stuff.
    kmc chain seems better than the izumi i had on previously.

10. bobajobrob

bobajobrob New Member

I got chatting to a single speeder on the A46 the other day, and he turned out to be the owner of MDT. He seems like a top guy.

11. peejay78

peejay78 Well-Known Member

i use sugino and campagnolo for really nice, really round effect.

i also have an ambrosio that's pretty darn good.