Good quality (i.e. round!) track chainrings.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamG

Guru
Hi all, my cheapy crappy drivetrain (£12 TA road ring and cheapy £4 rear sprocket) is causing grief in the old chain tension department, I need to replace the chain anyway as it's stretched beyond a reasonable amount now so thought I'd treat the bike to a nice round track chainring and sprocket so that I can get chain tension just perfect all the way around.

Whilst I'm at it - is it worth getting anything more fancy/robust than a SRAM pc-1 chain too? I presume I should indulge a new drivetrain with something fitting but not if it's only for pointless bling factor!

Hmmm, I might go the whole hog and respray the frame too as it's getting a tad rusty and after a year of riding it am happy that it's a keeper.

Jakob

Sugino, Shimano (D-A) and Campagnolo chainrings are all very round.

one-eyed_jim

Are you sure it's the chainring that's at fault? I've never had any problems with TA rings, track or road. I don't have any objective way of comparing, but I doubt other brands are measurably rounder.

Is it possible your problem lies elsewhere? Bent spindle? Crank broached off-centre?

OP
OP
G

GrahamG

Guru
I think so, combined with the cheap rear sprocket - it was definitely better on my old pompino with dedicated track rings on both ends.

Jakob

Nope, there's definitely a roundness difference. I had issues on my old bike with a TA ring, changed to a Sugino and problem was gone.

OP
OP
G

GrahamG

Guru
Got a stronglight track chainring (44T), an on one chromo sprocket and KMC track chain - I'll let you know how I get on when it's all fitted!

http://www.hubjub.co.uk/ is good for all things fixed.I'm using eai sprockets which aren't cheap but do wear well.
I'm using miche on the front and don't have any of the chain tension problems i had using cheap stuff.
kmc chain seems better than the izumi i had on previously.

peejay78

i use sugino and campagnolo for really nice, really round effect.

i also have an ambrosio that's pretty darn good.

Top Bottom