Good start to my week off...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alexvs

I've got this week off so I decided to set myself the target of achieving at least 120 miles by the end of the week which will be the most I've achieved in any week. My normal routine is 2 days commuting 5.4 miles each way plus a morning ride on a Saturday or Sunday between 20 - 40 miles.

As I've made no plans for my mornings I thought this is the best opportunity to make the most of it. This morning I woke at 7:30 feeling good and up for a good ride. Once I'd had my breakfast, let it settle and sorted all my bits out I set off just before 9:30. After about 10ish miles I pulled over to remove my outer layer as was getting a little warm and while trying to rest my bike up a car pulled over and a kind gent winded his window down to make sure I was ok and hadn't broken down. He was a cyclist himself so said if I needed a lift back home he was willing to drive me back the 10 or so miles which I thought was really nice of him and we ended up chatting for a bit. He was 70 years old and rides with a local club on their 60 - 70 mile training rides every Saturday. Put me to shame after I said I was only hoping to get around 40 miles today. Anyway thought that was worth a mention as have never met someone so willing to help before.

Back to the ride...I managed 36.9 miles in 2:39 with a snack stop in the middle which wasn't quite up to my previous best of 40.27 miles in 2:47 (on my Giant Rapid) but I was on my new bike this time (Specialized Secteur Comp) which I've only so far managed 15 or so miles on while I've been trying to get used to the position. Anyway all in all I enjoyed the ride for both getting used to the bike and for getting out early enough to kick start my day. Hopefully if I can do the same for the rest of this week (at least 5 of 7 days) I'll be looking closer to the 180 miles which will be amazing for me. Now fingers crossed I can keep it up. I'm also planning to maintain my 3 day gym week on top of this so hopefully won't burn myself out lol. Anyway thanks for reading.

Alex

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Theres a guy in my club who is 80 and still does 30 mile plus rides including hills.Hope I can do that at 80. good Luck with the rest of the week off.

BSRU

A Human Being
Whenever I'm off work my cycling mileage is always zero, my better half always finds plenty of things to keep me occupied.

Enjoy the weeks freedom and cycling.

OP
OP
A

Alexvs

Theres a guy in my club who is 80 and still does 30 mile plus rides including hills.Hope I can do that at 80. good Luck with the rest of the week off.
I know that's the first thing I thought when he said he does it.
Whenever I'm off work my cycling mileage is always zero, my better half always finds plenty of things to keep me occupied.

Enjoy the weeks freedom and cycling.
That's where I'm ok as I don't have a better half so making the most of it while I can ^_^ But my mum has asked me to go round do some painting in her house so not having a better half unfortunately doesn't help me get away from no work.

Thanks all, hopefully the weather will remain like today and can enjoy the week :thumbsup:

OP
OP
A

Alexvs

We had rain all night and morning so never managed to get out today as took my cruds off a couple of weeks ago and was too lazy to put them back on :blush:

If it's dry tomorrow I'll be out on the Secteur if not I'll take out my commuter as today's been too lazy a day.

BSRU

A Human Being
We had rain all night and morning so never managed to get out today as took my cruds off a couple of weeks ago and was too lazy to put them back on :blush:

If it's dry tomorrow I'll be out on the Secteur if not I'll take out my commuter as today's been too lazy a day.
Friday looks like the best day of this week, dry, light winds and sunny.

OP
OP
A

Alexvs

Today was a little damp after overnight showers but thought forget it I'm taking out the Secteur and can see how good the all condition tyres are. The bike is now quite dirty and needs a good scrub after I actually completed my longest ever ride of 53.87 miles in a slower than expected time of 4:10. I decided to ride from home (MK) to Little Billing (Northampton) to see friends but as I've never been I spent about an hour going round in circles in an industrial estate and surrounding area as was trying to follow the cycle route signs terribly as missed an important one and that's what got me lost :wacko: Once I got there they told me I could've just used the path alongside the A45 which would've brought me straight there :ohmy: The journey home was obviously much quicker but with a much stronger headwind progress was extremely slow.

All in all I ended me up with an average speed of about 13mph where I generally aim for about 15 so a little disappointing but managing to get those miles in takes me up to 91 for the week so I'm happy ^_^

OP
OP
A

Alexvs

Thanks mate I really can't wait for summer as will have hopefully made a few amendments to the bike to improve on the comfort and will then really just soak up the miles ^_^ I'm wasting the day at the moment though, it's actually lovely outside, best day by far this week yet I'm indoors with sore eyes as went out last night :tired: Trying to build up the energy to just get out but think I'll just take a short ride over to see the olds today, I even feel like I'm letting myself down lol

Top Bottom