Good stuff about getting old

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I no longer care if people like me or not. I no longer care if people like my opinions or not. I am not trying to impress anyone anymore.

I have no problem telling someone to jog on.

I like the slower pace of life and the peace and quiet that I now have and I no longer have to deal with other people's dramas.

It's a win win situation as far as I am concerned. :okay:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I realized I was getting old when I saw a photo of an old man on the web and then recognized him as one of my classmates at school.
I concluded that I was getting old when I saw a life-size photo of my late elderly father on a wall and then realised that it was actually a mirror... :whistle:

Good stuff about getting old...?
  • Not bothering about attractive women not being the slightest bit interested.
  • Not having to compete daily with young, aggressive, egotistical male f*ckw*ts.
  • Finally getting to the point where I don't feel stressed nearly all of the time.
  • (Assuming that coronavirus-induced economic disaster doesn't screw things up...) Looking forward to the rapidly approaching start of 2022 when I will be liberated from economic gloom by the luxury of a tax-free pension/housing benefit income of about £13k p.a. (Given that I only need ~£9k to pay my bills, that would leave £4k p.a. to spend on cycling and other leisure activities.)

Venod

Eh up
Nobody told me there be days like these.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6YJF_3COX0

PaulSB

Legendary Member
No disrespect to/criticism of the other thread on the undoubted problems of getting old,but do you nice folks have any encouraging positives?
No. 1 I won't be old till at least 80 - I'm 66 now. Retired at 62. I echo all the sentiments in here but it is only a number it is not old! :smile:

Loving every moment of my 60s and retirement, especially the bit when the government give me money instead of the other way round......:laugh:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I'm as young as some people who have already commented,

So not old by any measure, but by 'doing the math' on my parents longevity (or lack of it) I might not ever get to be properly old, can always hope :angel:

Getting older happily however is a great privilege, still healthy and active, and engaged with the world.

Financially independent, and solvent, with successful businesses doing things that are valuable, and that I still like doing.

I might never wholly retire in truth.

Grown up kids, doing their thing, but still wanting me to go out with them.

I love the 'youth of today' they seem far more open to hanging out with, and even enjoy learning from older folk, who don't treat them like know-nothing idiots.

I've even had to swerve some attention from very much younger guys.

Flattering yes - but not my thing thanks :blush:

But the best bit is probably, finally feeling comfortable in my own skin, and able to speak my mind, fairly confident in my outlook on life, without being overly fixed minded.

Flexibility in mind, and body, is key.

But also like @welsh dragon , no need to suffer fools gladly, or put up with poor treatment.

Long may it continue :bicycle:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
No disrespect to/criticism of the other thread on the undoubted problems of getting old,but do you nice folks have any encouraging positives?

1) 'We' went through the menopause for around 8 years and our hitherto amazing sex life dove off the edge of a cliff. :sad:

Said menopause is now a few years in the past (Lovely Wife is now 57) and I can report that her libido has hit overdrive and we are happily beavering (:rolleyes:) away more than ever.

Sadly, I don't think that this is the case for everybody in similar circumstances but you never know your luck.

Fortunately, at nearly 64, the curse of ED has not struck me although I gather help is available these days if it does.

2) Money is no longer an issue for us and we've enough to last us longer than if we both beat the current human age record for each gender. The kids might not appreciate us getting that far as they may not get the chance to squander it all (they would) at a relatively early age; if at all. Saying that we are pretty certain that they will get to rip through their not inconsiderable inheritances without a thought for the prudential approach taken by their parents. Cest la vie and good luck to them. If they blitz the lot away and die in poverty then it will be no concern of ours. We did our bit for them.

3) We no longer give a fig about what other people think of our fairly hedonistic lifestyle. It used to bother us a bit but to hell with it - we know people whose relationships have ended up marriages of financial conveniences etc with zero passion from either side who may tut-tut in our direction and quite frankly we couldn't care less. Their loss not ours.

4) We find it very easy to distance ourselves from most of the big issues of the day and are increasingly detaching ourselves from the rest of society as we realise that either we no longer fit or that many other folk are heading off in the wrong direction. Not bothered which of those statements are right or wrong tbh.

5) I could probably think of more benefits but my memory has defeated me.... :laugh:

D

Deleted member 1258

have you aged better?
If you cycle a lot very possibly.
Some folk age very rapidly and even look old when they are young.
(serves them right for being praised as "mature" when younger.

We all age at a different rate.

Top Bottom